Duplicate Text Messages

Syko

Reaction score
I'm using Handcent. I have notifications from the stock app turned off. I'm not getting duplicate notifications as if the stock app is notifying me. Rather, I'm getting 2 of the exact same text message within the handcent app on almost every text (yes...on rare occasions I only get 1 text as it should be and on even rarer occasions I get 3)

Here's the weird thing. When this started happening a few days ago, I opened the stock app (I've removed the blur so I have the android default) to find the same messages listed only once. No dupes within the stock app. So....I figured handcent was the problem. I uninstalled, and reinstalled. No change. I uninstalled & reinstalled and older version of handcent (from the BigDX folder)...no change..still getting dupes on handcent.

Screw it, I uninstalled handcent. Guess what happened...I started getting dupe messages IN THE STOCK APP!!!! :icon_evil: WTF? So I tried Chomp. No change...dupes with that app as well.

I'm running squidly's ROM 2.3.20.1 (haven't upgraded to his latest yet) with the Serenity theme. I have no idea what kick started this problem but I'm posting here in the squidly section as it was awfully close to when I tried (unsuccessfully) to install the glass widgets zip. Maybe the glass widgets zip only works with 2.3.20.2??? Not sure if that would have anything to do with it (grasping at straws right now) but the dupe texts are driving me nuts.

Any thoughts?

squidlymandingo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Check if conversations, mms,or handcent apk is in system/app if they are remove them the glass widgets are fine with.1 no worries mate.

musicman

Reaction score
I used to have the same problem. This is what worked for me.
I made handcent my default sms app. Using titanium backup pro I froze the text messaging 2.2.1 file and didn't receive another duplicate. I don't know why this worked but it did. Good luck.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Syko

Syko

Reaction score
musicman.......THANK YOU!

I found conversations.apk & mms.apk in the system/app (no handcent) and removed them with no luck. Popped on here to post my results and saw your post about freezing...just tried it and no dupes!

Seaxulf

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. Is there anyway to use root explorer and change the .apk to .bak to fix without freezing in titanium? Anyone know where this .apk is located and its name? Didn't find anything close to "Text Messaging 2.2" with my other apps. Thx.

Edit: Found it. Renamed /system/app/conversations.apk to conversations.bak. reboot and fixed.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

TheCometRider

Reaction score
I had the same problem...renamed the conversation.apk to .bak and all is well.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

arborij

Reaction score
I have had my DX2 for a few weeks now, and love it. That is until recently. It seems that when I receive a text message, the phone will receive multiple copies of this text. When I had a Blackberry Storm, I had a similar issue, but it was consistent. The issue I'm having doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. Does anyone have a clue why this is occurring?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

mxair2001

Reaction score
I was having the same issue on my X2. After about 6-7 calls to Verizon and a replacement, it seems to have cleared up. The worst I had was 14 of the same message. After doing a factory reset (part of VZW's troubleshooting), the only duplicate messages I have seen are from Verizon strangely enough.

LancerV

Reaction score
Use ti backup and freeze sync service ill post later how to adb and freeze the sync service 1.5.9

or

Do it with your computer you need to be rooted
open up cmd and go to the folder with adb mine is located at C:\ADB

run the following
adb shell
su (Allow the super user response on your phone if you get one)
pm disable com.fusionone.android.sync.service
reboot

LancerV

Reaction score
Also this in no way will mess with any android sync settings this application is strictly for Verizon sync

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

ELH

Reaction score
Another Clue

When I open the stock messaging app it hooks open the following apps,

IM
VZ Navigator
City ID
Vcast Apps

All of these have permission to send or receive SMS.

I had all 4 set to terminate using the stock task manager but have since allowed them to run. So far no duplicates but it has only been a few days. I will re-post if they return.

In my case the dupes would only occur during a reboot. Also, my phone is 100% stock.

Last edited:

ELH

Reaction score
No dice, still sending out duplicates on reboot. Looks like a non-stock solution is required.

The key is a lack of time stamp on the send. Anything that lacks a time stamp will be re-sent on reboot.

Last edited:

ELH

Reaction score
I disabled 'Callback Number' and enabled 'Delivery Reports' in the stock messaging app about a week ago. Since then, everything I send comes back with a time stamp and a delivery report icon. No duplicates going out so far...