Duplicate Text Messages--every time

bosman999

Reaction score
About a week ago, I started receiving duplicates of EVERY incoming text message on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. This is happening both in the native messaging app, and in handcent.

I've had the phone since November, the problem of receiving duplicate text messages just started.

This is incredibly annoying. Does anyone know of a solution?

Help!

atreyu381

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are you stock or rooted? If stock I would say it may just be a network problem and you could either wait it out in annoyance or factory reset. Rooted, you could try reflashing the rom you are on or flash a different rom and see if it fixes the issue. Good luck man.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
B

bosman999

Reaction score
I am stock.... I was hoping to avoid a factory reset, but if I can't find another solution I will try that

Are you stock or rooted? If stock I would say it may just be a network problem and you could either wait it out in annoyance or factory reset. Rooted, you could try reflashing the rom you are on or flash a different rom and see if it fixes the issue. Good luck man.

huskur

Reaction score
First thing i would do it refresh the notification settings in the stock app. Just uncheck and then recheck the box and give it a shot. That usually fixes that issue. If that doesn't do it then power off your phone and back on before you do a factory reset.

atreyu381

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
First thing i would do it refresh the notification settings in the stock app. Just uncheck and then recheck the box and give it a shot. That usually fixes that issue. If that doesn't do it then power off your phone and back on before you do a factory reset.

Good call. Maybe even could try going into settings/app/messaging and clearing cache and data for the messaging app. Couldn't hurt

OP
B

bosman999

Reaction score
Thanks Husker and atrey... I tried the advice from both of you and neither worked. HOWEVER, I then uninstalled handcent and powered off the phone, and since powering back on, the problem has disappeared (using the stock messaging app). So maybe it was a handcent issue after all... I've since installed Go SMS Pro and after a few tests, no problems.

If the problem does not return, I will just stick with Go SMS Pro and forget about handcent, it seems to be a very comparable app

Good call. Maybe even could try going into settings/app/messaging and clearing cache and data for the messaging app. Couldn't hurt

atreyu381

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I am leaning towards a network glitch if it was just a power off fix. Well glad your rolling again man.

RyTheGuy

Reaction score
I have had this same problem on my Bionic since I purchased it back in October. The frequency of double messages started to taped off and then randomly one day they stopped all together. Now, all of-the-sudden I am sporadically getting them again.

Rooted or u-rooted, I've not seen a difference the the frequency of the double messages, and others on my wireless plan, with the same device are not having the same issues.
I know nothing about codes or firmware, but it sounds to me like it may be device and device provider specific.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
B

bosman999

Reaction score
I power off the phone almost every night, so it had been powered off a bunch of times without fixing this problem... in any case, I'm glad the problem is gone (at least for the moment, keeping my fingers crossed).

I am leaning towards a network glitch if it was just a power off fix. Well glad your rolling again man.

scv91355

Reaction score
Handcent or Go - The Problem Will Remain

I power off the phone almost every night, so it had been powered off a bunch of times without fixing this problem... in any case, I'm glad the problem is gone (at least for the moment, keeping my fingers crossed).

I've been following several threads for months and have tried every technique. Don't bother to do a factory reset, as it will solve the problem for a few days, and then it returns. This must be a Verizon system issue. I cannot explain the behavior. All the suggestions above are valid, but if the same problems are occurring with Handcent AND Go, there is obviously more at work here.

This is such a pain for those that do a lot of messaging. Good luck!! :blink:

Last edited:

Malithar

Reaction score
About a week ago, I started receiving duplicates of EVERY incoming text message on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. This is happening both in the native messaging app, and in handcent.

Can't really offer much help, but I looked into this a lot a couple of years ago when I had my OG Droid. At the time I used Handcent as well and loved it, but I started getting duplicate texts (all incoming, anywhere from 2-5 repeats). Didn't find a solution back then, and since upgrading to the Gnex, I experienced the issue again, with Handcent. Any incoming one word messages come in triplets. But that's it. If its two words or more, no repeats. I've uninstalled Handcent and used the stock and I had no issues after that. I like Handcent though, so..biting the bullet and dealing with it.

photochick

Reaction score
This happens in handcent, the stock app, when receiving tweets or regular ol' texts.. I was told I need to take my Droid X into the corporate store (where they have actual (supposed) techs) to where they have to hook my phone up to THEIR system and
flash my phone. If that doesn't work, then they send me a new phone. (well, refurbished....500$ and I get a refurbished phone...) anyways, they are aware of the problem. The guy told me that the last update that was released a month or two ago was suppoed to have fixed the issue. well, it does NOT fix the issue. I did get in writing from him though that I would get a replacement phone and keep my current phone while the new one is sent out. I have his contact email and he said he'd order it for me so that another agent wouldnt have to order it and i'd have to send my phone in first and use a loaner. EIther he's really nice, OR he likes me. Jesus we could be married, we've spoken 5 times now and he calls to see if im still having the problem. Hes not a creeper, hes actually really nice. My record was 14 in a row at 3 am, it was lovely..... SOME OF THE BEST BUY ASSOCIATES ARE GOOD TECHS. BUT NONE OF THE REGULAR VERIZON STORES HAVE ANYTHING BUT CRAPPY SALES PEOPLE WHO CANT EVEN SELL ANYTHING, THEY HAVE NO CLUE. You have to go in there knowing what you want. or you are screwed. So, go to a CORPORATE store. Call them and ask them if they are corporate stores, or just call Verizon from 611 on your phone and have them tell you where they are located.

Last edited:

ember1269

Reaction score
I registered here for two reasons:

1) I want to let everyone in this thread know that this isn't a Verizon issue... I have a stock Glalaxy Note on AT&T (it's a week old) and everything worked perfectly fine until I installed Go SMS Pro. Now, I get double incoming text messages, and they show up in ALL of the messaging programs.

2) I want to be part of figuring out the fix, or at least knowing when someone else figures it out.

For what it's worth, I have disabled all notifications on everything except Go SMS Pro.

UPDATE:

I cleared the data (menu, Settings, Applications, Manage Applications - select each App and choose Clear Data for each app, including the stock messaging app) and then re-launched Go SMS Pro and Handcent. Once in each app, I configured as I needed (no notifications in Handcent and chose theme and other settings in Go) and it works fine now.

Last edited:

johanflora

Reaction score
hello i have the same problem whit my hdc a9100d sammung calaxy s2 i make factory reset the change the setting al in all nothing works for me it not rooted wat i do if sombody send me 1 message it run the whole day it make me realy crazy even 1 or 2 days later i recive the same txt message and all er from the same data and time .
after factory reset i lost even all me numbers but it stop only a few days then it start over again

is ther now realy nothing what realy can stop this

johan

mike096

Reaction score
I had the same problem for months on galaxy Y but it solved when i DELETED ALL MESSAGE HISTORY. hope it helps :)