Duplicate popup notifications

musicman

Reaction score
I know similar questions have been asked, but nothing I have found has helped this problem. I use handcent for texting and just recently I started getting duplicate messages for every text I received. Using advice I found in this forum I was able to stop this by freezing the messaging apk with titanium. However, I still get duplicate popup notifications for evey message but when I check the message I am only receiving it one time. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. And yes all the notification stuff is turned of on all other sms apps.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

r314bd

Reaction score
And yes all the notification stuff is turned of on all other sms apps
I'm skeptical about this based on the problem you're having. Go to the default Messaging app and make sure both auto-retrieve AND notifications are turned off.

OP
M

musicman

Reaction score
As I said before both are turned off. Please don't respond if you are just going to assume that what I am saying is false.

r314bd

Reaction score
All you said was "the notification" stuff was turned off. You said nothing about auto-retrieve being off.

If you can't explain yourself and the steps you've taken clearly, please don't bother creating threads.

OP
M

musicman

Reaction score
If you have a question that you are not clear on just ask. Don't start out by saying you are skeptical about what I am saying. It just makes it sound like you believe I am some how lying about my issue. Please if you can't help don't reply. I'm just trying to get some assistance from the very intelligent people in this forum.

r314bd

Reaction score
Don't start out by saying you are skeptical about what I am saying. It just makes it sound like you believe I am some how lying about my issue.
This is the only explanation. You are getting duplicate notifications because two of your SMS apps have auto-retrieve or notifications enabled. Period. Your Droid isn't just magically giving you two notifications for every text.

OP
M

musicman

Reaction score
Thank you for your input. If anyone else has any ideas please feel free to share them.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you have a question that you are not clear on just ask. Don't start out by saying you are skeptical about what I am saying. It just makes it sound like you believe I am some how lying about my issue. Please if you can't help don't reply. I'm just trying to get some assistance from the very intelligent people in this forum.
Look, we only know what you tell us and it's natural for anyone to be skeptical when you're defensive and there isn't sufficient information in your posts. Drop the attitude if you really want assistance and don't assume that you fully understand a given person's tone just by reading text on a screen. Give the person the benefit of the doubt since you can't read tone, body language, etc.

Let's start from scratch:

1. What messaging apps do you have installed, including stock?
2. Do you have any messaging-related apps such as SMS Popup?
3. What specifically are the notification and related settings for each app? Note exactly where each screen is where you've adjusted settings. Sometimes the settings we're talking about and what you're talking about may not be the same thing. This will help to rule that out.

If you want help, we need to ensure that these bases are covered. If you had all the settings correct then this wouldn't be an issue. Take a second, go back, and carefully note what the settings read and post them here.

Last edited:
OP
M

musicman

Reaction score
I think you may have misunderstood my last post. My thank you was just that, a thank you. I apologize for being defensive in my first post, I just felt attacked and didn't see a need for someone to say I was either lying or didn't know what I was talking about, however, that obviously didn't help things. No attitude was intended in my thank you and I am sorry if it came across that way. I appreciate your help, but no longer need it. I got help on another forum and things are working well now:) Have a nice day.

born2golf

Reaction score
I think you may have misunderstood my last post. My thank you was just that, a thank you. I apologize for being defensive in my first post, I just felt attacked and didn't see a need for someone to say I was either lying or didn't know what I was talking about, however, that obviously didn't help things. No attitude was intended in my thank you and I am sorry if it came across that way. I appreciate your help, but no longer need it. I got help on another forum and things are working well now:) Have a nice day.

OK, so what was the solution?

OP
M

musicman

Reaction score
Not sure what the problem was, but the solution was freezing the text messaging.2.2.1 I guess freezing just the messaging.2.2.1 only fixed half the problem and freezing both files fixed the rest of it. I hope that helps.