Dumb and Dumber Fall Off Cliff While Playing Pokemon Go

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
A friend of mine ranting on FB about how "STUPID POKEMON IS"...

"Kids shouldn't need a video game to get them out of the house!! They should play outside anyways!!
It's called laziness!! To lazy to go and do physical activities, reather sit front of a computer or TV all day!! Yes and kids have now clue about life experiences because all they do is play video games!! How about playing ball outside, ride bikes, play in dirt, go swimming?? "

Play in Dirt? I don't want my kid playing in dirt. ;)
Part of my reply:

"I'm a little tired of YOUR generation and older people acting all high and mighty because when YOU/THEY were kids, they went outside ALL DAY LONG. Right? You rode bikes everywhere. You were out from sunup to moonrise, right? Didn't go home until the streetlights came on. Yea, I've heard it all before. You know WHY you did all those things???"
Wait for it....

Wait for it....

"BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T HAVE VIDEO GAMES!!!!!" hehehe
"If you were 16 today, you'd be OUTSIDE playing Pokemon, too..."

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
"Kids shouldn't need a video game to get them out of the house!! They should play outside anyways!!
It's called laziness!! To lazy to go and do physical activities, reather sit front of a computer or TV all day!! Yes and kids have now clue about life experiences because all they do is play video games!! How about playing ball outside, ride bikes, play in dirt, go swimming?? "
*Too
*rather
*in front
*no

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I grew up with video games and I was still outside all day long until dark. That's not any generation. It's how we lived. But we didn't have cell phones, Air conditioning or cable TV. So going outside to build a tree fort, go fishing, setup a tent, etc were what we did. After chores for the day were done though. The animals came first. I think this is why I don't get along with many city people. They've never had to put in a hard days work and take everything for granted. You get food from the grocery store. SMH

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I grew up with video games and I was still outside all day long until dark. That's not any generation. It's how we lived. But we didn't have cell phones, Air conditioning or cable TV. So going outside to build a tree fort, go fishing, setup a tent, etc were what we did after chores for the day were done though. Animals came first. I think this is why I don't get along with many city people. They've never had to put in a hard days work.
I am glad that I grew up with Pong being the video game, and dad and mom had us out till or beyond dark, there were rules for play time, and it wasn't used as a babysitter... Same thing on Cell phones, those were in the car when I was a kid. I'm not against the games, just the lack of parental control.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I am glad that I grew up with Pong being the video game, and dad and mom had us out till or beyond dark, there were rules for play time, and it wasn't used as a babysitter... Same thing on Cell phones, those were in the car when I was a kid. I'm not against the games, just the lack of parental control.
That's what I see everything as now, a babysitter. I overheard some friends discussing what to do with their kids on a 7 hour car ride once their kids watch the movies they have in the media station. Their minivan has 4 screens, headsets, etc. Holy crap! If we could watch movies while driving down the road back then. There wouldn't be a couple of scars on my body. Kids getting tablets at 2 years old. How about Lincoln logs and let them figure out the square peg doesn't go into the round hole, without a hammer.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That's what I see everything as now, a babysitter. I overheard some friends discussing what to do with their kids on a 7 hour car ride once their kids watch the movies they have in the media station. Their minivan has 4 screens, headsets, etc. Holy crap! If we could watch movies while driving down the road back then. There wouldn't be a couple of scars on my body. Kids getting tablets at 2 years old. How about Lincoln logs and let them figure out the square peg doesn't go into the round hole, without a hammer.
I loved the Lincoln logs, erector set and such, so good.
We did have the double screen double Input setup for the kids, was a lifesaver on the long trips, they could watch 2 movies or play the modded Xbox on one, Playstation on the other. With headphones... I thought I was a genius back then, now it's on the minivan/suv when you buy it...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I loved the Lincoln logs, erector set and such, so good.
We did have the double screen double Input setup for the kids, was a lifesaver on the long trips, they could watch 2 movies or play the modded Xbox on one, Playstation on the other. With headphones... I thought I was a genius back then, now it's on the minivan/suv when you buy it...
I bought the kids Lego's. They had no idea what to do with them. They wanted their tablet and Xbox ones....this year they get nothing.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
We fight this battle constantly with my stepson. He'll be 7 in September. We limit his "technology" time and send him out to play when it's nice out or encourage him to play with his physical toys and use his imagination.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
We fight this battle constantly with my stepson. He'll be 7 in September. We limit his "technology" time and send him out to play when it's nice out or encourage him to play with his physical toys and use his imagination.
Kids only care about what's on a phone/tablet screen now. Can't really blame them though, playgrounds are pretty lame compared to the 90s :p

But seriously this game has people actually walking outside. They're not 100% of their surroundings but hey at least they're outside.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
My kid is way more into Legos then video games. For now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
My kid is way more into Legos then video games. For now.

My kids are a mix of both. My son loves Legos and figurines. His favorite outdoor activity is soccer. He has an iPad. I bought him one for his 3rd birthday because he got interested in technology and playing on it. Is he on it a lot? Probably, but he still does those same things mentioned above because...well he still wants to. The iPad didn't change a thing. He only wants to watch educational stuff anyways unless it's Teen Titans. I didn't force it or change anything. I did take it away if he was bad, but never forced a limitation. I also don't use it as a babysitter either as I'm always I'm the same room with him. Usually about 20 minutes in he wants Daddy anyways. Maybe it's me or how these others handle their own kids (I try not to judge), but my son never changed his habits with the introduction of the iPad. To me, that's pretty good. Technology is a supplement and not a replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Hell I try to get my kid to play Wii with me. His hand-eye coordination sucks. Lol
He's just not interested.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So many good posts here, wow. I grew up in that generation of "play outside all day and drink water from a garden hose when thirsty...at any of the neighbor kids houses". Being a parent of two teenagers in this modern world I can appreciate any app that helps get parents & kids off the couch and outside together. But everything in moderation; the app cannot replace reality. You still have to have some attention to detail with your surroundings and things that are real. It's tough trying to implement some of the rules from my generation; next thing you know your kids are the "weird ones" at school or the outcasts, because they don't fit in. This is a problem with modern society, and it's tough to try and teach good tech discipline to your kids when almost every other kid they know has none...like the " tech is my babysitter" type comments posted previously. How do the parents that want to teach good habits compete with so many parents that don't care (or too busy working 2 jobs) and let their kids be raised by technology? Strange times we live in.

Last edited:

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Yes, very strange, and I didn't think I'd like the game, I started playing this afternoon, now I'm hooked...

b7769c95090690a1ae395c59253c9688.jpg

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
;)