Dropped my RAZR MAXX --- Anyone ever deal with Verizon's WONDERFUL insurance???

Sled208

Reaction score
My phone is 1 1/2 months old. I dropped it and cracked the screen :icon_eek: I have never broke a phone before.

1) will their insurance even cover a cracked screen if the phone is still 100% functional? According to what I can decipher from their legalese, it won't.

2) do you ALWAYS get a refurbished POS?

3) Should I just say "F-it" and try to buy one on ebay or elsewhere?

4) does anyone replace screens?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hello and welcome.. sorry about your device.. it is possible to replace your screen.. but its not a simple task..

As for your insurance, their assurion insurance does cover a cracked screen, just pay the deductible... 100$ I believe.

Are the devices all CLNR devices?? No, I know a few people that have gotten brand new, in box devices for replacements... idk what the deciding factor is for that.... but I've also seen people get CLNR phones.... luck of the draw??? Idk...

Is the glass cracked? Or is it the entire screen???

You can get another maxx off of eBay, Craig's list, swappa, our sister site androidforums.net, the paper... what I'm saying is that they're out there.. I think they're going for 200-300$ right now...

Good luck.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might be interested in knowing the Motorola will replace the screen. Yes, they charge for the repair. The good thing about it is that you end up with your own phone. Check their website

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sounds like you might be interested in knowing the Motorola will replace the screen. Yes, they charge for the repair. The good thing about it is that you end up with your own phone. Check their website

This is true... about 150$ and you'll have a warranty :)

OP
S

Sled208

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.. sorry about your device.. it is possible to replace your screen.. but its not a simple task..

As for your insurance, their assurion insurance does cover a cracked screen, just pay the deductible... 100$ I believe.

Are the devices all CLNR devices?? No, I know a few people that have gotten brand new, in box devices for replacements... idk what the deciding factor is for that.... but I've also seen people get CLNR phones.... luck of the draw??? Idk...

Is the glass cracked? Or is it the entire screen???

You can get another maxx off of eBay, Craig's list, swappa, our sister site androidforums.net, the paper... what I'm saying is that they're out there.. I think they're going for 200-300$ right now...

Good luck.

It is just the exterior glass. there's no breakup in the images on the screen

This is true... about 150$ and you'll have a warranty :)

I just got done chatting with a Motorola rep and you guys kick A$$!!!! Thanks for the advice :hail: They actually charge $100 plus tax (same as the insurance deductible) and I get MY phone back. No messing with reinstalling all the apps, figuring out all the passwords or reloading stuff!!!

OP
S

Sled208

Reaction score
Have fun with no phone for a week and a half.
I have my Droid X (previous phone) that I plan to use while the RAZR max is being repaired. I'm actually using it to reply to you. Thanks for your concern tho

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to get a new sim card when you get the phone back :)

I recommend people get Square Trade phone protection instead of Verizon's. Square Trade is $100 and covers your phone for 2 years. You can make 2 claims a year. Replacements are $25 and if you make the claim before 7pm, you'll have it shipped same day. Plus, ST gives you one replacement battery in the two years, if your battery is not holding a charge more than 50%. The only thing ST doesn't cover is if the phone is lost/stolen. But 90% of claims are damage based (broken screen, water damage, etc).

OP
S

Sled208

Reaction score
Don't forget to get a new sim card when you get the phone back :)

I recommend people get Square Trade phone protection instead of Verizon's. Square Trade is $100 and covers your phone for 2 years. You can make 2 claims a year. Replacements are $25 and if you make the claim before 7pm, you'll have it shipped same day. Plus, ST gives you one replacement battery in the two years, if your battery is not holding a charge more than 50%. The only thing ST doesn't cover is if the phone is lost/stolen. But 90% of claims are damage based (broken screen, water damage, etc).

I assume your response about the SIM card is based on getting a replacement phone rather than the repair route that I'm going?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Sled208 said:
I assume your response about the SIM card is based on getting a replacement phone rather than the repair route that I'm going?

No, if you re-activated an old phone, your sim from the Maxx is no longer usable.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
No, if you re-activated an old phone, your sim from the Maxx is no longer usable.

This is 100% correct. Just call vzw and ask them to sebd you a new one. You can also go into a store but if its an "authorized dealer" they will want to charge you up to $20 for it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

OP
S

Sled208

Reaction score
This is 100% correct. Just call vzw and ask them to sebd you a new one. You can also go into a store but if its an "authorized dealer" they will want to charge you up to $20 for it.

Well, that sounds pretty damn stupid if you ask me :blink: Why the hell would they do that?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sled208 said:
Well, that sounds pretty damn stupid if you ask me :blink: Why the hell would they do that?

It's easy money.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
bdsullivan76 said:

Some authorized dealers, like us here at Costco, are not able to give out sim cards or ha e you pay for them. Best bet is to call Verizon and ask them to send you one, unless you have a corporate nearby