Dropped my phone in the toilet, is it toast?

velocity92c

Reaction score
So I drank puregrain for the first time the other night (everclear, I think is what it's called) and after about 4 shots let's just say I was smashed.

went to the bathroom playing around on my phone and dropped it in the toilet. I immediately grabbed it and ripped the back off and battery out as fast as I could, thought being as drunk as I was it did take about 10 seconds. the phone was still on when the battery came out though, screen and all.

I then took it home that night and set it on a box fan with the fan pointing straight up and let it dry. I plugged it in the next day and it booted right up, though there was clearly condensation under the screen. It worked for about 2 hours, I went back to sleep for about 20 minutes, woke up and the red LED light was on and flashing. I did a battery pull and since then the phone has not shown any signs of life whatsoever.

So each day I've tried different drying methods (rice, fan, letting it sit in the sunlight through a window) and the only result so far is that when I plug it into the charger now the little white light is coming on indicating it is charging. this light did not come on until the 3rd day of trying to dry it out.

ALL the condensation under the screen is gone, it dried up fairly quickly but I am curious did I fry my phone? I remember dropping a blackberry in the pool a few years ago and it did something similar, but worked 6 months later when I randomly checked it. none of the drying methods worked on it either, but it worked perfectly later in the year when I tried it.

anyway, apparently droids are out of stock and asurion is not replacing droids with droids anymore. even if I could get an X as a replacement I much prefer my droid and am curious if anyone has any ideas? can I take it into a store if I can find one with droids in stock and do my insurance through the store? is there anything else I can try to get it to work or is it fried?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Dude!! I hope you don't mind if i laugh!! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok sorry and back on topic lol

The droid 2 is coming out thursday

scrizzo

Reaction score
I'm not sure about Asurion as I've never had it. But below is an alternative way..

Are the water-activated stickers triggered? i believe there are two; one beneath the battery cover on the top left and one beneath the battery.

If not then I think you can just take it in and say the phone's screen stopped working and IF they have refurbished droids on hand then you may be able to get it replaced since youre still covered under the 1 year warranty.

alphawave7

Reaction score
When I dropped my Nexus into a cup of iced tea (slipped out of car dock, directly above the cupholder), I sacrificed my baby for 4 solid days...into a baggie of rice. By the weekend, it booted and all was fine. Never attempt to charge/boot/anything until it has spent 4 or more days drying out in a bag of rice. Give it another go.

gmmurphy

Reaction score
so sorry to hear. same thing happen here droid in zipper pocket not zipped. putting daughter on pot. plop droid in toilet. pulled battery, followed how to dry out droid the right way..never came back to life. every now and again i take it out of its resting place and plug in, in hops it will come back to life. i get the white charging light but that's it.
good luck! sorry for your loss.

Mojo

Reaction score
I don't think your Droid is toast. More like it got wet and took a poo on you. hahaha. Sorry couldn't resist. On a serious note, I hope you have insurance.

Nopetize

Reaction score
Nope it's not toast...but if it fell into the toilet, I can tell you what it is now. :icon_eek:

Wish the best of luck to you.

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
well i do have insurance but i thought asurion was no longer carrying the droid. can i just go into a vzw store and pay the deductible and swap it there?

Dragoro

Reaction score
How do ya tell if the moisture test things have shown its gotten wet? My X is red, but I think it always has been..

LonelyPilgrim

Reaction score
I did the same - now all is working but the sound

I dropped my Droid X in the toilet for just a couple of seconds -- I had it in two cases, a latex bumper and a belt Sidekick (which slid off my belt and into the drink) -- and I swiftly grabbed it. The Droid itself barely even got went, and I dried everything off quickly. It didn't lose power and everything seemed to be working properly.

But a short time later when I tried to make a phone call, I realized that everything wasn't okay. The earpiece wasn't making any sound. I fiddled with it for a few minutes, and turned up the media volume, and then the notification sounds started playing through the speaker again, so it wasn't fried. I tried to make a phone call again, this time turning on the speaker, and it worked fine. It also works fine with earphones plugged in.

In fact, it *acts* as if it thinks there are earphones plugged in. It does seem to be attempting to make any noise during calls or playing media -- but it plays the notification sounds as normal. I suspect some water got down in the earphone jack. I drained a few drops from the jack, and blew it out with a blow dryer, but still nothing working. It's been several hours. Everything else is working fine. The earphone jack itself is not fried, as everything works fine with earphones plugged in.

Any ideas?