Dropped my S3 in the toilet....

MrBunster

Reaction score
....and after 6 hours drying, it still works perfectly! I watched the screen light up and everything while it was down in the uncharted crapper deep.

Guess it IS water resistant to some degree. And no, I was not "using" the toilet at the time (clean bowl). Your thoughts?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I keep my dogs food and water bowl semi-close to my bed. One day I tossed my Bionic onto my bed and it made a series of 3 bounces, two on the bed, and one off, landing directly in the center of the recently filled water bowl.

Phone worked perfectly. Just took it apart insantly and let it dry out, the water mark wasn't even affected and it was definitely completely submerged. Smartphones can be pretty resilient, even without kevlar and water proof seals.

OP
MrBunster

MrBunster

Reaction score
We'll, camera is not working. That sucks.

Sent from my used and abused SCH-I535.

OP
MrBunster

MrBunster

Reaction score
Unroot and factory reset. Camera is working again, and no smears on water damage indicator!

It's gonna be a good day.

jolew

Reaction score
Another S3 close encounter with toilet :(

Hi

Sorry, I'm new to all of this, but have stupidly dropped S3 in the (thankfully clean) toilet too. Left it in a sealed bag of rice overnight but still 2 issues:

1. Camera blurry
2. Phone does not recognise headphones unless it is rebooted with them plugged in

Do you reckon it needs longer to dry out maybe? Is it best to remove battery and sim for this, or just complete?

Although I'm techie, never taken phone apart before - can you guide me pls, but note it is covered by phone insurance but I don't really want to claim on it!

Ta

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Out of curiosity, why pay for insurance if you don't want to use it? Situations like this are pretty much the reason I have insurance...you know, just in case.

Next, like in the post right above yours, try a FDR.

It's probably dry by now, so any issues you have are either permanent or fixed by an FDR. Taking the phone apart won't do anything unless you plan on ordering new parts, aka camera/processor/radio/headphone jack etc, and learning how to build a smartphone. So basically your options are FDR and hope for the best or insurance claim.

jolew

Reaction score
According to the insurance provider, if I make one claim on the insurance it is then void and not covered anymore!? I need to follow that up during NWH today, as I can't understand how that would be right. If it is though and I claim, knowing my luck, I'd then lose the phone and be completely stuck! Stupid eh

jolew

Reaction score
Sorry - yes.

48 hours in a bag of rice, then took battery out and wrapped phone in a towel and put it in the airing cupboard overnight.

Camera now fine :)

Issue 2 was somehow solved by the upgrade to ice cream factory, so all now well :)

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry - yes.

48 hours in a bag of rice, then took battery out and wrapped phone in a towel and put it in the airing cupboard overnight.

Camera now fine :)

Issue 2 was somehow solved by the upgrade to ice cream factory, so all now well :)
Glad it worked out for you.