Dropped it, now the screen won't turn on!

natevines

Reaction score
So long story short, I have my RAZR Maxx HD in an otterbox, which I thought would protect it from ANYTHING (and hitherto I suppose it has). Yesterday, I dropped the phone some 7ft down my staircase onto concrete (oops!). Initially, the phone looked fine and the otterbox case is still pristine. Unfortunately, the screen simply won't turn on. The green LED flashes and the phone still makes noise. I plugged it into HDMI which shows that it still works 100% (except the screen, obviously). Even through HDMI, though, there's nothing I can do as I can't enter my password or even slide. There's also hairline fractures which appear to be under the surface. What a jarring fall! Asurion has the phone on backorder and I won't compromise for a downgrade.

Any ideas? I tried holding down and power numerous times and all that. I also tried to access the boot menu (press volume + and - simultaneously upon bootup?) which doesn't seem to work, or at least it doesn't project to HDMI. Help! This is really, really frustrating!

That sucks that your oled screen cracked.. I don't think otterbox will do anything... Don't take this as fact but... A person could drop their device, claim it was in an otterbox even if not..

Do you use the defender or the commuter? My wife dropped her maxx on a 60 lb dumb bell and the defender saved it, screen first.... And I run them on every device I've got...

But 7 feet down stairs.. Let me tell ya.. Even in a lot of padding... 7 feet down stairs.... Isn't pleasant... That's all I'll say lol...

Thanks for the replies fellas.

My GF proposed the idea of contacting Otterbox. I looked into and - unfortunately for me - Otterbox has no policy on replacing phones damaged while using their cases; they'll only replace the case itself (presumably for the reason 94lt1 put forth: fraud would be pretty easy).
And it's the defender case. I must've hit it at that perfect angle :/

Last edited:
Yeah that sucks man... My suggestion is this.. Call moto.. They will fix it with a warranty for probably about 250$...you'd have to call to get the exact price..

But it's cheaper than paying full retail for another, and possibly about the same price as a used replacement.. Oh wait.. Did I read you're waiting on your insurance???

Nope.. You didn't say that... So having moto replace it will probably be best.. Or check swappa or Craigslist in your area.

No, I am waiting for Asurion but it's on backorder.

Is there any app that will allow me to hook it up to my pc via USB and control the screen?

That I don't know... I really don't.. I don't think so though.

Did something similar to mine about a month ago, cracking the screen and unable to access the contents. Same day I found a vendor on ebay who sells OEM screens. Purchased one for ~$140, received it in the mail two days later and was back in business after about an hour of disassembly/reassembly.

Back