DroidX Wifi

newparadigm

Reaction score
Just got a second hand Droid X to replace my wife's dying D1. Unrooted as of yet. The wifi won't hold a connection. Googling around has revealed this not unique to me. However I cannot figure out if this is a software or hardware problem. Does anyone have any hard information on this, since I will either try to get my money back from the seller and find a different phone, or look harder for software updates/root/workarounds.

And I'm not messing with my otherwise perfectly functioning router (g mode only ASUS WL-520gu running Tomato with TKIP--ROCK stable--uptime measured in YEARS)

bitter

Reaction score
I noticed it happening a lot on Froyo. On the first leaked Gingerbread 4.5.1_57_DX5-3, it works flawlessly.

OP
N

newparadigm

Reaction score
I appreciate the response (and the avatar) .

I was looking for specific knowledge ie "known bug in wpa supplicant fixed on build ...." rather than anecdotal reports. I have seen other reports (though the build was not specified) that this has continued on gingerbread.

JonDroidX

Reaction score
This happened to mine and it was a hardware issue. I tried all the tricks (changing wireless security settings on router, new router antenna, etc) and nothing worked. Turned out to be the phone.

Rocko

Reaction score
Hard reset on both phone and router. Some X's don't like certain routers. Try another. If it still won't hold, send back the X.

OP
N

newparadigm

Reaction score
Sounds like it is worst case scenario. Might be software, might be hardware, no clear "known" cause/solution.

baboon619

Reaction score
This might not help in a tech way but I was having problems with the wifi dropping out and not restarting until i would airplane mode on/off. Did the whole google search and found a ton of "maybe" answers to which none helped me. I just got a replacement phone and I have slowly been adding all my apps back on one by one and I have been running rock solid for 3 straight days. No hiccups, no lock ups and no wifi drops.
So all in all my take is this... if you are experiencing MULTIPLE small problems and a hard reset does not solve your problem then I would consider returning the phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

miles long

Reaction score
Just got a second hand Droid X to replace my wife's dying D1. Unrooted as of yet. The wifi won't hold a connection. Googling around has revealed this not unique to me. However I cannot figure out if this is a software or hardware problem. Does anyone have any hard information on this, since I will either try to get my money back from the seller and find a different phone, or look harder for software updates/root/workarounds.

And I'm not messing with my otherwise perfectly functioning router (g mode only ASUS WL-520gu running Tomato with TKIP--ROCK stable--uptime measured in YEARS)

for me after the umteenth try, I was typing address wrong/ c2:b5:6b:0d:87 ehen it needs to be c2b56b0d87 once I figured that out it connects every time/worth a look.