DroidX file media apps

bill hansen

Reaction score
I've been trying to transfer several photos from my DroidX to my computer, without a great deal of success. The app which apparently comes with the Droid, "Vcast Media Manager", seems to have no users manual other than a short video, which is really only an advertisement for the app itself. Trying to use Vcast, I can only "transfer" (drag and drop) one file at a time, and apparently I have no control over where that file goes. There must be a better file transfer app around - isn't there?

Vcast displays some of the thousands of images I have on the computer itself, but it seems to randomly select images from different years, different locations, and display about 20 of them, with my single cell phone image tacked onto that list - wherever the list is, on the computer.

Of course, with the phone plugged into a USB socket on the computer, I can drag and drop, and that works perfectly well for my purposes at the moment. I can see that once I get more "stuff" on the phone, I'll need some sort of management app.

Separate question, I think - Once I get some music on the Droid (none came with the phone) will I need a separate app to play that?

Thanks for any tips, quips, and criticism.

Bill

timrock

Reaction score
Separate question, I think - Once I get some music on the Droid (none came with the phone) will I need a separate app to play that?

Thanks for any tips, quips, and criticism.

Bill

the stock music app will play your music just fine. but there are alternatives. some do things that others dont. a few are: winamp, mixzing and my favorite, PowerAmp. Just load the music on to your card let the music player do the rest.

as to your first question, i think drag and drop is the easiest and simplest method available. What type of management will you need? Do you want separate folders for certain pics? if so, thats not a problem. Just create a folder on your memory card and drag and drop to the appropriate folder.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Out of the box, the DX will do just about anything you need it to do as far as pictures, video and music is concerned. There are built-i applications that handle each of these files quite well, but there are "better" more robust apps free in the market that you can download.

Personally, I dont see what "management" you need, other than knowing where your files of each type are stored on the phone, and how to move them back and forth between the phone and the computer, but thats just me.

The Gallery "app" is nothing more than a viewer of image and video files...it will show pretty much all image and video files on the phone regardless of what folder they are in.

I use Gallery to view my pictures, but video is handled fairly well by the built-in video app...but I prefer to use RockPlayer since it handles just about all video formats.

Music is copied over directly to the SD card via USB cable and copy/paste functions in Windows...too easy really. The stock music player app is fine, but for more control and usability, I prefer PowerAmp...there are other apps that are as good.

BTW...piece of advice, you can take it or leave it...uninstall the V-Cast Media Manager...its totally useless in my opinion. Manage your phone manually and you will be a lot happier in the end, as well as being more educated as to what and where your stuff is on the phone.

Last edited:
OP
B

bill hansen

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I'll definitely need separate folders for different types of images (dogs, kids, friends, landscapes, etc), but more importantly for different subjects of documents (pdf, doc, etc) I 'll need to download. I have to carry several sets of rules&regs from different organizations, and I'm hoping the phone will become a good portable way to do that. I don't think I'll need app folders for quite a while, if ever. RE: music, thanks for the tip on Power Amp. I'll pick that up, but music transfers from the computer will have to come later.