Droid's Processor

michaelearth

Reaction score
The Moto Droid has a Arm Cortex A8 processor clocked at 550MHz and I have heard people say that this processor is so much better than the Omnia II's processor at 800mhz. Also that it could even match up with a 1ghz processor.

How is the above possible and what makes Droids processor so special?

Thanks

Berzerker

Reaction score
The Moto Droid has a Arm Cortex A8 processor clocked at 550MHz and I have heard people say that this processor is so much better than the Omnia II's processor at 800mhz. Also that it could even match up with a 1ghz processor.

Thanks
The Droid runs the TI OMAP3430 ARMv7 Cortex A8 processor.
The processor in the Samsung Omnia II is the ARM stock 1176 ARMv6 processor. The key between the two is ARMv6 vs. ARMv7. The introduction of ARMv7 allowed for faster transfer of data at a slower frequency via better silicon. It also allows for smaller processors and less heat. (quicknote: the Droid's CPU is actually underclocked at 550MHz, the stock clock is 600MHz). CPUs can't really compare speed vs. speed unless the underlying features are the same (i.e. ARMv6 vs. ARMv7).

As for the 1GHz area, the Droid's OMAP3430 can't really compare to the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor clocked at 1GHz that's in the Nexus One. It's faster and can process information much quicker than than the OMAP3430, so it might not be as fast as those clocked at 1GHz.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
wow berz you're smart!! i don't understand a word you said up there but WOW! now if you could just help me with my 2.1 problems lol

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
How about when you add the graphics processor in?

Thanks
The processor in the Samsung Omnia II is the ARM stock 1176 ARMv6 processor. The key between the two is ARMv6 vs. ARMv7. The introduction of ARMv7 allowed for faster transfer of data at a slower frequency via better silicon. It also allows for smaller processors and less heat. (quicknote: the Droid's CPU is actually underclocked at 550MHz, the stock clock is 600MHz). CPUs can't really compare speed vs. speed unless the underlying features are the same (i.e. ARMv6 vs. ARMv7).

As for the 1GHz area, the Droid's OMAP3430 can't really compare to the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor clocked at 1GHz that's in the Nexus One. It's faster and can process information much quicker than than the OMAP3430, so it might not be as fast as those clocked at 1GHz.

Berzerker

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the GPU only *takes over* certain processes and does not *aid* in process of certain actions. For example, the GPU in computer on Windows 7 can add to processing power for certain CPU actions, called GPGPU (General Purpose computing on Graphics Processing Units). On the Droid, the processes are divided up between the CPU, and the GPU, no add to add, so it's more like 550MHz for somethings, and 430MHz for other things, not 550MHz + 430MHz for all things.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I never thought for a second that you added them together. However when they code 2.1 for the Droid why can't they have the GPU do the heavy lifting of the active wallpaper and take some of heat off the main processor.

Having a dedicated GPU can help in cases where you have graphic intense processes - my understanding is that's why you put them in.

Unfortunately, the GPU only *takes over* certain processes and does not *aid* in process of certain actions. For example, the GPU in computer on Windows 7 can add to processing power for certain CPU actions, called GPGPU (General Purpose computing on Graphics Processing Units). On the Droid, the processes are divided up between the CPU, and the GPU, no add to add, so it's more like 550MHz for somethings, and 430MHz for other things, not 550MHz + 430MHz for all things.

Berzerker

Reaction score
I never thought for a second that you added them together. However when they code 2.1 for the Droid why can't they have the GPU do the heavy lifting of the active wallpaper and take some of heat off the main processor.

Having a dedicated GPU can help in cases where you have graphic intense processes - my understanding is that's why you put them in.

I'm pretty sure the code in the Nexus One tells the CPU to process the wallpaper due to its speed and type (1GHz Snapdragon), which is also why it's a little slow on the Droid. We'll most likely see optimization of 2.1 to have the GPU process the live wallpapers to improve speed when it's actually released.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. They will have to re-write the code to let the GPU of the Droid do some heavy lifting but in the end we may have something just as fast as the Nexus One.

I'm pretty sure the code in the Nexus One tells the CPU to process the wallpaper due to its speed and type (1GHz Snapdragon), which is also why it's a little slow on the Droid. We'll most likely see optimization of 2.1 to have the GPU process the live wallpapers to improve speed when it's actually released.

Reaction score
wow berz you're smart!! i don't understand a word you said up there but WOW! now if you could just help me with my 2.1 problems lol

It's simple if compared to something most guys get.

Let's use corvettes and mustangs as an example.

a 505 HP Corvette Z06 is faster than a 500 HP Mustang GT 500 by a lot. The reason for the difference is obviously the amount of variables involved, such as weight, gear ratio, etc.

The same situation goes for a CPU. Many variables are involved instead of just raw horsepower.

ldimick

Reaction score
I would be surprised if they let the GPU do much work. So much of people's perception is based on how quickly things appear on the screen. So even though they could let the GPU do some of the work they may not if it looks like it is slower.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe that some of it will also be more ram on the nexus, has anyone seen if that ram itself is faster?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

a 505 HP Corvette Z06 is faster than a 500 HP Mustang GT 500 by a lot. The reason for the difference is obviously the amount of variables involved, such as weight, gear ratio, etc.

The same situation goes for a CPU. Many variables are involved instead of just raw horsepower.
Great analogy. Same thing I ran into when I had a 'rice-burner' in my younger days. My 160hp Civic smoked some cars that it on paper NEVER should have :)

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Great analogy. Same thing I ran into when I had a 'rice-burner' in my younger days. My 160hp Civic smoked some cars that it on paper NEVER should have :)

Both excellent analogies. Most consumers have been dupped by advertising into to thinking clock rate determines how fast a CPU is.

I think its more appropriate to compare clock rate to RPM's. Lots of variables go into determining how fast a CPU is. Most CPU architectures are very complex and outside the knowledge base of the average consumer. Instruction set, memory management, number of pipelines (parallelism) branch prediction capabilities, etc etc. It's all very complicated and CPU frequency is probably the only common number consumers see.

Bottom line CPU frequency is only predictable of speed between 2 identical processor architectures or as a ratio comparison between different architectures.

will.anaya

Reaction score

Thanks

yes thanks for the simple layman's terminology cuz all i heard was:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, FREE SHREK 2 DVD ,blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Berzerker

Reaction score
I would be surprised if they let the GPU do much work. So much of people's perception is based on how quickly things appear on the screen. So even though they could let the GPU do some of the work they may not if it looks like it is slower.
Given that the GPU in the droid is almost as fast as the CPU (@ 430MHz), I would be happy to have the GPU take over some functions from the CPU.

I believe that some of it will also be more ram on the nexus, has anyone seen if that ram itself is faster?
Not faster, just more. But, it does help.