2.1 Live Wallpapers with DROID ???

FireDroid

Reaction score
I'm curious, if the Droid has such a good gpu, why have more games not taken advantage of this?

My guess is the whole, "apps can't be installed and ran from SD card" issue.
That's why iPhone games are currently "better" seeming than ours at this point...however, supposedly Google is addressing this soon.
I can't wait.

Edit:
What I meant, for those who dunno what I'm talking about...iPhone has 16MB or whatever depending on what it is and ever bit of it is optimized by the phones OS...Droid uses our 16Mb SD card in a more storage, not phone performance wise type manner...
Does that make sense? Haha

You meant 16 Gig right???:)

OP
W

woooahthere

Reaction score
My mistake. I'm really coming from the Droid standpoint so the iPhone specs didn't really get double checked in my mind.
:p

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Droid has a dedicated GPU with a very high fill rate (a lot higher than the Qualcomm Snapdragon)

It's a wait and see how they will run. I'm assuming they will run just as "good" or better on the Droid once optimized for the Moto's hardware but at this point it's any ones guess

Just an FYI It's being reported that they do not run real fast on the N1 and use up a lot of power.

edit: some specs on both processors

the 3430 has a GPU that pushes 18.5M triangles and about 662M pixels per second @ 530MHz the specs on the current snapdragon chipset list 22M triangles and 133M pixels per second. Not sure why the fill rate is so bad on the snapdragon but qualcomm didn't exactly go for 3d muscle in its MSM7500 series either so their GPU may simply be gimped with respect to fill rate.

Interestingly enough. From what I have been told the droid may run the live wallpapers BETTER than the N1. That is due to it's dedicated GPU. Only time will tell since I haven't rooted or tried. I for one can't wait to see them on my Droid

Exactly Miami ... I don't think we'll have issues with it.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
dont let the numbers fool you.... the snapdragon 1ghz isnt much if any faster then the cortex a8 550mhz.

The current Snapdragons that clock over 600Mhz are definitively based on Cortex A8 cores. Qualcomm was able to get an architecture license from ARM. So the 1ghz snapdragon is almost identical to the Cortex A8 except they have added more pipeline stages to get the extra clock speed. From what i understand the cache size is identical in both chips.

tomato88

Reaction score
dont let the numbers fool you.... the snapdragon 1ghz isnt much if any faster then the cortex a8 550mhz.

The current Snapdragons that clock over 600Mhz are definitively based on Cortex A8 cores. Qualcomm was able to get an architecture license from ARM. So the 1ghz snapdragon is almost identical to the Cortex A8 except they have added more pipeline stages to get the extra clock speed. From what i understand the cache size is identical in both chips.
If so, I love my Droid even more! :)
From what I've seen on comparison videos for N1 and Droid, the processing speed seemed only marginally better on N1 that I didn't perceive it to be twice as faster.

Man... I'm really crossing my fingers on this update.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, if the Droid has such a good gpu, why have more games not taken advantage of this?

The Droid is still relatively 'new.' It's also the first with 2.0 and it's far more powerful than the other phones that came before it... so why would game makers have taken advantage of it until now? Even with the N1 between the two phones they will amount for less than 50% of the market for several months so currently a developer has to choose between a less than perfect game that can run on MOST phones or a really nice game that can only run on two phones, which for now is likely <40% of the Android phones.

They will come, be patient (or create your own :icon_ devil:). Besides, it's not like (at least to my understanding) that these phones are given to developers prior to release (like a Gaming Console) so they have to wait to get their hands on them.

Toby

Reaction score
Good points from the last few posters. I was going to cover them. Especially about the games part.
Companies like Polarbit are one of the first to even start to touch the real power of the droids OS and hardware. I'm surprised they even got those games out so soon.
They're a little tacky but show off abit of what the phone can do.
Be patient and you'll start to see some awesome stuff come along.

In regards to the 1ghz snapdragon vs the droids 550 hz cpu, i'm surprised how many people are being mislead on this. It's not a simple matter of hz and have seen alot of review sites go crazy over the 1hz number, disregarding any real knowledge of how these things work.

I did alot of research on the droid before buying, and had to choose between the N1. In the end there is not much difference in hardware at all, in fact I think I may prefer the droid over the n1 due to the GPU.

I'm hanging out for live wallpapers, doesn't seem like it's around though.
The media gallery from 2.1 is awesome.