Droid2 touchscreen going crazy

dewey

Reaction score
OK, I realize I'm not the first person to have this problem. But here's the thing. My phone has been fine for over 2.5 years and it only just started acting weird. It's not the charger as I have used the same charger for 2.5 years. It's not moisture as the phone has not gotten damp (other than a little sweat from my face when I used it while jogging). The phone does seem to get hot, especially when charging (I got a new battery and that seems to have cured the hot part but not the touchscreen part).

It is not consistent. The problem comes and goes. Sometimes the phone is unusable. I pull the battery, reboot, and it's fine. For a while.

I've read a few posts here and there about people replacing the touchscreen. Is that the problem? The touchscreen itself is shot? Is there any solution other than a new phone? I've held onto this phone b/c it has the slide out keyboard. I've tried phones without the slider and I hate them. Is there any hope?

I should add that there does not seem to be a direct correlation between the phone getting hot and the touchscreen acting weird. Often it happens when the phone is cool and has been sitting idle for a long time.

Thanks.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There are a number of possibilities, some related to sweat, high humidity, some related to finger/face oils, some related to dirt...the one thing they all have in common is proximity.

Your screen is a capacitive touch sensitive screen, and so actual touching is not completely necessary. What is necessary however, is something that changes the capacitance sensed at the screen level. This can be the oils or other moistures as I mentioned, or it can be dirt as well.

The edges of the screen are especially sensitive. This is where oils and dirt can collect between the glass edge and bezel. I found when my screen is acting up if I take it in piece of paper or rigid plastic and slip it between the gals and Bezel and ride it along the edge between glass and bezel, you get all kinds of crud out of there.

Otherwise, it could be electrical in nature, a ribbon cable that is cracked or damaged, could cause the symptoms you're experiencing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2