Droid X2: Worth the upgrade?

Hazencruz

Reaction score
I currently have a Droid X and I have just about had it with that phone. It is the first smart phone I have ever owned and I was completely satisfied with it for nearly a year now, but right about the time I installed gingerbread everything went to ****.

There are random time when the phone won't text or call out at all. If I try to text, it just fails. Same thing happens with calls. I have to reboot every time this happens.

My phone won't vibrate when on silent anymore, but it will vibrate any other time. Useless.

At times the phone slows down to a crawl (especially when I'm docking/undocking it). I suppose this one may be an issue with any smart phone, but I can't be too sure since this is the only one I've ever owned.

The question I have is this:
Should I even bother to upgrade to a Droid X2?

I do love the layout of the DX (though I do wish it had a hard keyboard on it) and the vidcap resolution is nice (though it can't playback in 720p), but there are just so many problems with it that I'm considering going back to a regular-ass phone when my upgrade becomes available.

As Droid X2 users, I would like your thoughts if you've made the switch, know another droid model that is better, or just have general advice from owning a DX2.

gr8scott_o

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't understand your poll choices. Your post seems to indicate you are considering an X2 and are wondering if it's worth it, but your questions relate to the level of experience one has with smartphones in general.

If this were my poll, the two choices would be "I have the X2 and OMG IT'S THE BEST PHONE EVAR AND NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY BE WRONG WITH IT!!!!1! DUEL CORZ 4 EVAR" or "I have the X2 and would like to smash it with a hammer".

Put me down for the second one.

Zog

Reaction score
Aren't phones supposed to be silent when on silent? Vibrating is what "vibrate" mode is for. I don't have any problems with gingerbread. I suggest using a rom, or at the very least doing a factory reset. My dx has no lag. No the dx2 is not a good use of a 2yr renewal.

zombiestomped :: dx

OP
Hazencruz

Hazencruz

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't understand your poll choices. Your post seems to indicate you are considering an X2 and are wondering if it's worth it, but your questions relate to the level of experience one has with smartphones in general.

If this were my poll, the two choices would be "I have the X2 and OMG IT'S THE BEST PHONE EVAR AND NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY BE WRONG WITH IT!!!!1! DUEL CORZ 4 EVAR" or "I have the X2 and would like to smash it with a hammer".

Put me down for the second one.

I should probably just do away with the poll all together. Now that you mention it, it does seem rather useless. I take it, though, that you don't like the X2? lol

Aren't phones supposed to be silent when on silent? Vibrating is what "vibrate" mode is for. I don't have any problems with gingerbread. I suggest using a rom, or at the very least doing a factory reset. My dx has no lag. No the dx2 is not a good use of a 2yr renewal.

I have my text/email alerts set to "Vibrate only when on silent."
I have actually taken a look at roms, but from what I can tell they looked more like launchers than actual roms...do you know of any that help with these kinds of issues?

gr8scott_o

Reaction score
I should probably just do away with the poll all together. Now that you mention it, it does seem rather useless. I take it, though, that you don't like the X2? lol

I would definitely say it's NOT worth your upgrade. I wish I didn't waste mine on it. Fortunately, I will have three more upgrades here in a couple more months, so not as much of a loss for me. I liked the concept of the X2, but the two examples I have had were (are) rife with issues. Seems to work fine as a basic phone for me, but not well at all as a media player.

OP
Hazencruz

Hazencruz

Reaction score

I would definitely say it's NOT worth your upgrade. I wish I didn't waste mine on it. Fortunately, I will have three more upgrades here in a couple more months, so not as much of a loss for me. I liked the concept of the X2, but the two examples I have had were (are) rife with issues. Seems to work fine as a basic phone for me, but not well at all as a media player.

I'm just tired of all the weird little problems with my X. I would say I'd get an iPhone, but I hate apple almost as much as I hate microsoft (and sony for that matter).

Do you have a particular droid model in mind in terms of something that would work a little smoother? Or are all droids riddled with functionality-crippling issues?

OP
Hazencruz

Hazencruz

Reaction score
Another thing I've thought about is gaining root access to my DX. Has anyone ever done this and successfully rid themselves of the piles of problems that apparently every X user is having?

p1ngputts

Reaction score
Best smartphone on the market right now imo. If you don't care about 4g or FFC, this is the phone to get.

Reaction score
Ok, It's just my opinion here.... dancedroid It has a dual core processor that is also used in an Acer 10.1" tablet. That tablet with Android turns 1800-1900 Quadrant scores. This phone turns 2700-2800 Quadrant scores. <--- Fact!

I owned the OG Droid for two years. Rooted from the command line with ADB using Sholes incomplete, out of order, missing parameters, step-by-step guide. I gave up the physical keyboard for the dual-core.

DX2 rooted on drop day. Gonna root GingerBread if I can. If I can't then I'll SBF, root Froyo and wait for P3 or ChevyNo1 or someone else to cook off a rooted GB ROM. This phone does tricks! Runs BackTrack 5, RDP to Windows computers, plays high intensity games with stunning graphics, stream movies and play over HDMI port!! I have not had the problems many DX2 owners have claimed.

This is the top of the line at this time. Next month, who knows? Gotta make your own choice, don't get one cause I told you to.

nickelocene

Reaction score
I also had freezing, random reboot problems with my DX. I also had a ghost in the phone that turned it on during the night when I powered it off before sleep.
I had the same problem with the CLNR DX. So I called VZW and they are sending me a CLNR X2 with Froyo (hopefully hasn't been updated yet) on it. We will see how it goes.