Droid X

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
For all those who don't know already, Alldroid.org is giving away a Droid X to the developer who users would like to see develop on it: Vote Here

Take a stop by and vote for your favorite developer! If that happens to be me, then fantastic! If not, then I encourage you to vote anyway to support the android community! :)

It would be nice to get another device running my gem-line of ROMs, however!

Last edited:

white_ash143

Reaction score
Got my vote sir. Switching to your ROM as we speak. Plus the wiki and bug reporting is much more organized than following countless posts in one or two topics.

Edit: I don't even plan on owning a Droid X for whatever that's worth.... :)

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
You got my vote too cvpcs. It stinks though, almost all of the other people on that list are either developing on multiple phones or have a very popular software that can be used on android.

Just wait, that will be you some day, with people asking if you can port Sapphire to X phone :D

Cleskers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have my vote. I have tried 3 other Roms and none compare.

bhughesiii

Reaction score
You got my vote, doubt I'll own a Droid X anytime soon, but when I do I want sapphire on it!

madAdam

Reaction score
Just tried but the voting is closed. I ordered the Droid X and look forward to running Sapphire on it. Thanks for your work!

Last edited:
OP
cvpcs

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Wonder if/when they'll crack the bootloader on it.

in all honesty it doesn't sound good. the milestone has had a similar system in place and after ~9 months they have yet to break it without hardware modifications.

i heard that it was even worse in the case of the droid x, as they employ what is called an eFUSE. basically, if you try to load something on to the device that is not signed properly, then the phone bricks itself and the only way to get it working again is to send it to motorola, where they can open it up an reprogram it at the chip/circuit board level (using a method known as JTAG). i may be wrong about some of the specifics but this is what i remember hearing from birdman/p3droid, so feel free to correct me

Edit: this means that in order to even TRY to crack the bootloader, you better be willing to brick your device, because every failed attempt will result in a brick

seems like an awful waste of a good device to me.

PJnc284

Reaction score
yeah, I don't really get the motivation on Motorola's end. They're going to miss out on a lot of the custom roming community that the Droid is famous for. Apparently they were trying something different with the original droid based on a response from Motorola. If I were a CEO there, someone would be getting fired for talking potential customers into supporting competing products.

Motorola: Droid X isn't a dev phone, buy the Nexus One if you want ROMs | Android Central
Motorola: Droid X isn't a dev phone, buy the Nexus One if you want ROMs
Posted on Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 by Kyle Gibb

So the bootloader on the Droid X is locked. We know this. For many developers and hackers, it's a bit of a disappointment as the original Motorola Droid became a de facto dev phone because it ran stock Android 2.0 and had an unlocked bootloader. That allowed them (and us) to easily flash new ROMs onto the phone.

So what's the deal with the Droid X? Motorola's Lori Fraleigh explains in a recent blog post from way back in February:

"We understand there is a community of developers interested in going beyond Android application development and experimenting with Android system development and re-flashing phones. For these developers, we highly recommend obtaining either a Google ADP1 developer phone or a Nexus One, both of which are intended for these purposes. At this time, Motorola Android-based handsets are intended for use by consumers and Android application developers, and we have currently chosen not to go into the business of providing fully unlocked developer phones.

"Securing the software on our handsets, thereby preventing a non-Motorola ROM image from being loaded, has been our common practice for many years. This practice is driven by a number of different business factors. When we do deviate from our normal practice, such as we did with the DROID, there is a specific business reason for doing so. We understand this can result in some confusion, and apologize for any frustration."

That's the way Moto wants it, and that's the way it will be. For the time being, it looks like the Nexus One will remain Google's official dev phone. It is also a sure bet that the Android hacker community will descend onto the X like a swarm once it is released, so have no fear. And it also stands to reason the "unannounced" Droid 2 might be seeing the same "feature."

Our question to you: Is this a deal-breaker? Or can you still not wait to get your hands on Moto and Verizon's new hotness?

OP
cvpcs

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
yeah, I don't really get the motivation on Motorola's end. They're going to miss out on a lot of the custom roming community that the Droid is famous for. Apparently they were trying something different with the original droid based on a response from Motorola. If I were a CEO there, someone would be getting fired for talking potential customers into supporting competing products.

Motorola: Droid X isn't a dev phone, buy the Nexus One if you want ROMs | Android Central

Yeah, i read that post. What a load of crap. I agree with you, if I were CEO of a major company, I can't imagine what business strategy would compel me to say "you know what, let's add a feature that actually makes a large sum of customers who WERE excited about buying this device, buy another one! and then let's TELL them to do it!"

in all honesty they should've just done what the nexus did, and implemented a feature so that you CAN root, but as soon as you do they can always tell, so that you can't request a new phone and claim it broke if you brick it. that's the right path to take IMO.

cabagekiller

Reaction score
With the JTAG method. If it gets leaked ROMs can be made. But I feel that may not happen anytime soon.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

madAdam

Reaction score
"Securing the software on our handsets, thereby preventing a non-Motorola ROM image from being loaded, has been our common practice for many years...

So I wonder why Moto releases the occasional hacker's dream. I got into this crazy hobby with the V9M. Had a blast on that phone. Then nothing until the Droid, which I'm in a little over my head with. I became obsessed with flashing new ROMs. Settled on Sapphire, and am very happy with it, but I'm afraid I'll always be tweaking and flashing. That's why I decided to order the Droid X. So I can enjoy my phone in peace for a while — until the hacking begins again!

bhughesiii

Reaction score
Looks like I will not be owning a Droid X with this kind of BS floating around. I was excited about it until now. If I weren't so in love with my droid I'd get a different phone and tell moto where to stick it.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
Wonder if/when they'll crack the bootloader on it.

in all honesty it doesn't sound good. the milestone has had a similar system in place and after ~9 months they have yet to break it without hardware modifications.

i heard that it was even worse in the case of the droid x, as they employ what is called an eFUSE. basically, if you try to load something on to the device that is not signed properly, then the phone bricks itself and the only way to get it working again is to send it to motorola, where they can open it up an reprogram it at the chip/circuit board level (using a method known as JTAG). i may be wrong about some of the specifics but this is what i remember hearing from birdman/p3droid, so feel free to correct me

Edit: this means that in order to even TRY to crack the bootloader, you better be willing to brick your device, because every failed attempt will result in a brick

seems like an awful waste of a good device to me.

I guess I wont be wasting $600 on the Droid X. Its gonna be the Droid and sapphire for now dancedroid