Droid X WIFI overseas

DroidBO

Reaction score
I have a droid X on verizon. I will be traveling to Italy next year for a coouple of months for work. I called verizon and the said you need a data plan to make wifi work. That doesnt seem like it makes sense to me. Has anyone used there DX anywhere in Europe only on WIFI? Really want to take it with me, but if I cant use it on wifi, whats the point. Don't want to worry about using data, and then getting charged for it. I understand it is not a world phone, But WIFI is WIFI right?
Thanks

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
wifi is wifi. theres a way to turn off mobile data in settings>data manager

the5barrons

Reaction score
I'll be deploying on USS Enterprise with a new squadron VFA-11 in January. Lots of overseas ports. Even though my DX will have it's service cut, I should be able to use the wifi if at a lounge that has it...or so my assumption goes. Plus, my DX is my camera, video, and music and everything else...it's comin' with.

dangerous

Reaction score
I have a droid X on verizon. I will be traveling to Italy next year for a coouple of months for work. I called verizon and the said you need a data plan to make wifi work. That doesnt seem like it makes sense to me. Has anyone used there DX anywhere in Europe only on WIFI? Really want to take it with me, but if I cant use it on wifi, whats the point. Don't want to worry about using data, and then getting charged for it. I understand it is not a world phone, But WIFI is WIFI right?
Thanks

I think what VZW is implying is, you still need to pay them for the Data Plan, if you are going to keep that phone active (even though you can't make calls over there). Otherwise, as the other posters said, Wifi is Wifi.

Reaction score
Asking Verizon any tech question will always yield ridiculous results.

Wi-Fi will work just fine in Italy.

Sent from my DROIDX