Is using wireless tether outside the US possible??

microdot

Reaction score
I have a rooted X and use wireless tether for wifi. I am traveling to South Africa next month and was wondering if it would still work over there. My first thought was that it would not because there would be no verizon signal (data) available there but funny enough my wireless tether still worked when i put my phone on airplane mode so i am confused. Does wireless tether not use verizon "signal" to supply the wifi? Does anyone know for sure if it will work overseas? Thanks

Beka27

Reaction score
I'm not sure, maybe call Verizon and ask.

Lol... kidding.

But seriously, I don't tether but doesn't tethering work on your 3G data. And when you are out of the country, you pay some kind of ridiculous amount for 3G service. So I guess I'm wondering if it'd even be worth it.

Maybe this page will help?

Global Data

Rocko

Reaction score
To get out of country 3G, you have to use roaming data, and that can be insanely expensive. I wouldn't even attempt to try it. Call verizon and ask them what there out of country data prices are.

OP
M

microdot

Reaction score
To get out of country 3G, you have to use roaming data, and that can be insanely expensive. I wouldn't even attempt to try it. Call verizon and ask them what there out of country data prices are.

Not having the 3G mobile connection over there is way i thought it would not work, i am just confused on how its still supplying my ipad with internet when i put my phone in airplane mode which cuts off any 3G data or connection to your phone. Any thoughts?

Rocko

Reaction score
That is strange. Shouldn't be any data flowing with airplane mode on.