Droid X Video Camera Broken/Frozen Pixels

dddjames

Reaction score
Alright this is a bit bizarre. I didn't notice it until tonight, so not sure if the update did it or if I just didn't notice it, but its VERY noticeable. When recording video (which I'm set on 720p) the viewfinder has numerous broken or frozen pixels of Red, Blue, and White. These pixels are also broken in the video playback. You can see these pixels when using the Camera to take pictures, but they do NOT show up in the pictures themselves as they do in the video.

I've messed with Qik a bit (even though it doesn't work on the X yet) and the videos I take while in quick do NOT show these broken or frozen pixels. The only time you can see it is when pulling up the stock camera/video camera.

As I was typing this I was uploading the video that I took to youtube. Now that it has posted, I went to watch it and there are NO stuck pixels?

Now I watch the video in the youtube app on my phone, and I CAN see the pixels while watching it there. Perhaps the compression/increase in size on my home computer just makes the pixels impossible to see. Regardless, here is the poor video:

Its taken in my dungeon of a bedroom, just a 10 second shot of my dresser for a nice dark background, but sure enough, you can't see the pixels:

[video=youtube;D4jaeK5GuEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4jaeK5GuEI]YouTube - July 20, 2010 9:24 PM[/video]

Anyone else having stuck pixels when using the video camera? Any ideas how or why this is happening? Should I start pursuing a replacement?

Edit: When changing the video quality to 720, you CAN see the stuck pixels on the youtube upload. The most noticeable is a blue one in the very top left corner, and a red one in the top left quadrant as well.

One more thing: When I take the video camera out of 720, the stuck pixels no longer appear. So they only appear when in 720p, and they only stick around on videos, not on stills (despite appearing in the viewfinder during stills as well)

Last edited:

JonathanF

Reaction score
Droidx Update Caused Dead Pixels For The Camera And Camcorder

I had my DroidX Cell Phone since when it was released last week.

The Cell Phone was working very well with no dead pixels on any of the menu screens, none on any of the software applications, and none on the Camera or Camcorder applications.

I had checked for the dead pixels using different colored backgrounds, and using dark screens especially with the Camera and the Camcorder application.

On Tuesday afternoon I downloaded and installed the DroidX 1.13.604 Update.

The DroidX now has some dead pixels in the same location only in the Camera and Camcorder applications, and not in any of the other applications or menu items.

You need to use the Camera and Camcorder applications in very low light and viewing a dark screen and you will definitely see the white colored dead pixels.

If you using the Camera and Camcorder applications and you are looking at an object in a bright light or in an outdoors setting you will probably not notice the white colored dead pixels.

Since the dead pixels only occur in the Camera and Camcorder applications it is probably a software related bug.

Any comments?

Jonathan

phillyphill39

Reaction score
I have two stuck pixles. One almost in the center and its red. And one near the bottom of the screen which is green. But it only shows when using the camera.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I had my DroidX Cell Phone since when it was released last week.

The Cell Phone was working very well with no dead pixels on any of the menu screens, none on any of the software applications, and none on the Camera or Camcorder applications.

I had checked for the dead pixels using different colored backgrounds, and using dark screens especially with the Camera and the Camcorder application.

On Tuesday afternoon I downloaded and installed the DroidX 1.13.604 Update.

The DroidX now has some dead pixels in the same location only in the Camera and Camcorder applications, and not in any of the other applications or menu items.

You need to use the Camera and Camcorder applications in very low light and viewing a dark screen and you will definitely see the white colored dead pixels.

If you using the Camera and Camcorder applications and you are looking at an object in a bright light or in an outdoors setting you will probably not notice the white colored dead pixels.

Since the dead pixels only occur in the Camera and Camcorder applications it is probably a software related bug.

Any comments?

Jonathan

Please refrain from cross-posting.

phatkat66

Reaction score
im more irritated then upset over the excitement for the .604 update when it did nothing for the camera focus, but at the same time made the camera a bit worst. I don't get it what is up with Moto lately. Did they become too arrogant from the D1 success and became complacent in their fw updates and is just pushing out updates just to say they "updated"?

I hope they actually FIX these things as well as the #$^$%^ VOLUME! >_<
I want my beastly DX to ROAR not whisper