Droid X sync, normal or broken?

jhy001

Reaction score
After two weeks with my new Droid X I finally found where to control syncing with my google account. It had not occurred, I think, until I did it the first time, and now it does seem to happen automagically. For those that may need this instruction, Menu -> Settings -> Accounts -> select your main Google account and bingo, there are Sync Contacts, Sync Gmail, Sync Calendar. All are and were checked. At the bottom is the choice "remove account". But, if you press Menu you will get a "sync now" button. So, I've found it at long last. But...

The Calendar seems to sync fine, for what a Google calendar is worth. I am on a Mac and have purchased Missing Sync for Droid X, they are still working on it, that is another story...

My complaint is that my Droid X Contacts, about 140 of them now, don't sync to my Google Account. I haven't found any documentation on what should happen, etc. (i.e. any documentation) on this, but not a single contact shows up anywhere on my Google account under Contacts. Is this
a) normal b) abnormal? What to do to make it "work"?

Thanks!
P.S. when Missing Sync works, I guess I won't care about syncing with my Google account, but it seems strange it isn't working at all. After all, Google wrote the phone OS!

DroidFan22

Reaction score
Google account

I would see if your 140 contacts came from the desktop, after a sync. Open the Contacts app on the Droid X >Settings>Display options (I think) and just select the Google account : do you see the 140 contacts there? If not, then thats why they are not syncing to Google. I also have a Droid X and I am just using Missing Sync to keep the contacts up to date on the desktop and overwriting the phone. But, they are not synced to the Google 'account' so they cannot be sent up to the 'cloud' to Google.

OP
J

jhy001

Reaction score
The problem is that I had 117 or so contacts on my old phone. Verizon put them on the phone. I then manually took it up to about 151 now. Before I bothered to learn that syncing on the Droid X is alpha ware. So I am stuck with them on the phone, the additional ones have never gotten off it!!! It looks like I have to find the proper incantation and type them in again not on the phone, and then sync them to the phone. If that works, I'm not sure.

Went to the Verizon store today. Tech support did not know much about the Droid X. I seemed to know more and I don't know much yet. They called Verizon support that they can call, and he handed me the phone. After 20 minutes of this and that, they have no clue. They have no manual for advanced contact syncing.

Hopefully, this may be fixed at OS 2 in September. It looks like contacts and syncing on the Droid X are still in alpha test!!!!!

But I still like the phone for all the other stuff that it does do right!!!

swingate

Reaction score
Contacts not in Gmail Account

Sometimes it will not sync when numbers are transfered to the droid via a Celebrite machine. You will need to go to your cell phone Settings, Account, click your gmail and and uncheck the sync buttons one at a time and then recheck them again. This should manually sync the contacts. If not pull your battery and do it again. This should work. It is a glitch in the system but nothing major!