Droid x security

Jug the Thug

Reaction score
What program will detect if a phone had spyware or spy phone software on it. I have lookout and everything is fine...I was looking into avg security pro. Will avg and lookout run together fine or is it like a computer and the two will interfere with eachother? Is avg worth it and does it detect well?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

cj100570

Reaction score
What program will detect if a phone had spyware or spy phone software on it. I have lookout and everything is fine...I was looking into avg security pro. Will avg and lookout run together fine or is it like a computer and the two will interfere with eachother? Is avg worth it and does it detect well?

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about such things on your phone. Beyond some proof of concept stuff there isn't anything out in the wild. Even if there were I doubt any of the apps that claim to protect your phone would even be able to find them. I've tried every Anti-Virus program in the market and each of them has failed to even find the "Eicar" test file that I keep on my phone; eicar | THE ANTI-VIRUS OR ANTI-MALWARE TEST FILE

If they can't find that I have no trust in their ability to find something that may actually be harmful. Every desktop Anti-Virus client finds it with no problem and every mobile client should also since files are frequently transferred back and forth between pc & phone.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
AVG or Lookout are nothing but power wasters.

OP
J

Jug the Thug

Reaction score

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about such things on your phone. Beyond some proof of concept stuff there isn't anything out in the wild. Even if there were I doubt any of the apps that claim to protect your phone would even be able to find them. I've tried every Anti-Virus program in the market and each of them has failed to even find the "Eicar" test file that I keep on my phone; eicar | THE ANTI-VIRUS OR ANTI-MALWARE TEST FILE

If they can't find that I have no trust in their ability to find something that may actually be harmful. Every desktop Anti-Virus client finds it with no problem and every mobile client should also since files are frequently transferred back and forth between pc & phone.
What should I look for then? Something out of place every bad file has to have a place on the phone so ASTRO will have it somewhere?

cj100570

Reaction score

What should I look for then? Something out of place every bad file has to have a place on the phone so ASTRO will have it somewhere?

There's nothing for you to really look for. As long as you're getting your apps from the market you should be good. And as long as you have anti-virus software on your pc that's up to date and you run scans regularly that shouldn't be a vector for viruses or malware either. Mobile malware and viruses are a rarity. You are more likely to get struck by lightning than to get a virus or malware on your phone! But if it makes you feel more secure to run it, by all means do so. But I honestly don't believe any of the mobile solutions are of any use at present since there really aren't any widespread threats out there of concern and none of the anti-virus apps have ever to my knowledge found any virus/malware on any Android phone.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jug the Thug

Reaction score

There's nothing for you to really look for. As long as you're getting your apps from the market you should be good. And as long as you have anti-virus software on your pc that's up to date and you run scans regularly that shouldn't be a vector for viruses or malware either. Mobile malware and viruses are a rarity. You are more likely to get struck by lightning than to get a virus or malware on your phone! But if it makes you feel more secure to run it, by all means do so. But I honestly don't believe any of the mobile solutions are of any use at present since there really aren't any widespread threats out there of concern and none of the anti-virus apps have ever to my knowledge found any virus/malware on any Android phone.
I talking about spyware like spy phone software installed on my phone manually maybe by one of my parents.

cj100570

Reaction score

I talking about spyware like spy phone software installed on my phone manually maybe by one of my parents.

Go to Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Downloaded and look at what's installed on your phone. If you see anything that you don't recognize or didn't install, uninstall it. If you're concerned about someone installing apps on your phone behind your back, use a password to prevent unauthorized access.

J

Johnly

Does something make you think you are at "risk?" If so, what? Could be a 100 things including a poorly written app. As long as you don't download apps from Chinese servers, from third party app sites, you are fine. Ironically lookout claims a Trojan came for one of those exact servers. Ironic huh? Gotta get that threat real to sell sell sell.