Droid X randomly shuts off after Android 2.2.1 update

tiff4short

Reaction score
I received the Android 2.2.1 update last Thursday on my Droid X. Later that morning my phone randomly restarted 3 times in the matter of a couple hours. It has been doing this randomly every day since then. Also, when I plug my charger into the USB port of my computer is has started acting funny. The screen on the phone goes black, with text that says something about a data transfer. I can't get the screen to go away, even when I unplug the charger, and after about 3-4 minutes of messing around with it it just shuts off. I have decided that either I am just the least tech-savvy person out there (maybe there is a logical explanation for all of this), or I am having real issues with the phone. Before I take this thing into the Verizon store and ask for help I wanted to see if anybody out there had the same problem as me, or if somebody knows how to help. Thanks!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yours is not an isolated case. The first thing I would do is a Factory Hard Reset. If that doesn't fix it, I'd take it to a verizon store and have them reflash the os.

You can call tech services and they will most likely send you a "certified like new" replacement phone. I'd personally rather try to keep the original hardware and have the os replaced.

OP
T

tiff4short

Reaction score
???

What is a Factory Hard Reset? Will it make me lose all of my data (contacts, pictures, etc.)? Is there a way to backup all of my data? I remember somebody at the verizon store several months ago saying that all of my stuff is connected to my google (gmail) account. How do I find it? I am completely clueless when it comes to anything more than texting and facebook on my phone...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a Droid so hopefully the following is true for both phones: go into menu/settings/privacy and there are two settings concerning having your data backed up to Google and restored by them.

A factory hard reset returns the phone to the condition it was in when you took it out of the box. Here is how to do it to an X: Please note; I would not do this if the phone has been rooted. I have no idea what it would do to your phone. It might be bad though!! :)

Per JimMariner of DFX:

DROID X - Factory Data Reset

How do I reset my phone to factory settings?

Factory Data Reset is a tool used to remove everything that was imported, added or installed on the device.

WARNING: When using this feature; information you have programmed in the handset is deleted, however, nothing stored on the MicroSD will be affected.

To Perform a Reset

1. Open the Applications Tray. (arrow pointing up located in the middle at the bottom of the display screen)
  2. Touch Settings
  3. Touch Privacy
  4. Touch Factory data reset
  5. Touch Reset Phone
  6. Touch Erase Everything
If this doesn't work, take it to a Verizon store to have them totally reflash the OS.

OP
T

tiff4short

Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, but how do I know if my phone has been rooted?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, but how do I know if my phone has been rooted?

It would be something you did. It would install an app called Superuser and that would appear in the app drawer. If you did not root it, then it hasn't been rooted.

If you are concerned about doing this, just skip this step and take it straight to a Verizon store. No harm, no foul. :)