Droid X or Droid X2?? Help!

wendee2150

Reaction score
My son wants my D2 because of the keyboard, which I don't always remember to use thanks to Swype. Question becomes: do I purchase a Droid X which has GINGERBREAD!!! or do I purchase a Droid X2 which has a dual-core processor but no GB? Are these apples to apples or apples to oranges? The forum I read last evening wasn't very favorable towards the X2; but I didn't like my Droid2 very much going from an LG enV Touch either. Help is needed, pretty please and very soon!!! He's impatient...Ah to be 19 again, NOT!

Thanks,
Wendy

Ravyn

Reaction score
Welcome Wendy.

I LOVE my X2, my much better half has a DX that she has NOT allowed me to root for her and while its using GB, you really wont tell the difference (at this time) between Froyo and GB, mainly because of the MotoBlur Blue theme. But my phone so far is way more solid (stability) then her's AND its wayyy faster.

About the bad review... everyone has opinions, and sadly not every phone is the same. I had a rooted D1 that was rock solid with Bugless and Simply Stunning, but acted mental on CM and a friend with a D1 that acted stupid on BB... but was great on SS and CM. These are extremely complex devices that if something is BARELY off can cause major issues, be it software or hardware... pick your poison. So I suggest you don't base your opinion on the device off some poor knuckleheads review of a bad device, play with one for a bit... see how you like it. You know?

Besides opinions are like..@ssholes... we all got em :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The main differences between the two are the screen and processor. The processor you've already mentioned - it helps mainly when watching movies, playing games, using the web browser, HDMI mirroring to your TV (X2 does this truly, X has to hack to do it, and it's not a perfect solution). It doesn't add much in any other scenarios - at least until the OS is more optimized for dual core.

The X2's screen is much brighter, and has higher resolution, but doesn't manage colors as well. Some people love it, some people hate it. Google (and search on here) "Pentile" - the issue has been beaten like a dead horse on the forums! :)

I have both and like both... The X2 has some memory issues to work out, but is solid and more 'future proof' since it's dual core. But the X running GB is still a top tier phone for sure. They're both great in the phone/speaker/reception department.

vvildcard

Reaction score
TL:DR version: If he asked for a D2, why not get that?

If it's a keyboard he specifically asked for, then get one with a keyboard! As for the X2 and X, the X2 does have some shortcomings compared to the X, but it's probable that future updates from Motorola will fix them. The only thing a patch can't fix is the screen, which is a non-issue in my opinion... you really only notice it when you're actively looking for it. During normal use, you're focused on the thing you're doing, not the subtle difference in pixelation. Anyway, if a phone with a keyboard isn't an option, then go with the X2.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
TL:DR version: If he asked for a D2, why not get that?

If it's a keyboard he specifically asked for, then get one with a keyboard! As for the X2 and X, the X2 does have some shortcomings compared to the X, but it's probable that future updates from Motorola will fix them. The only thing a patch can't fix is the screen, which is a non-issue in my opinion... you really only notice it when you're actively looking for it. During normal use, you're focused on the thing you're doing, not the subtle difference in pixelation. Anyway, if a phone with a keyboard isn't an option, then go with the X2.
Probably should have read the entire first post before responding to it...:wacko:

The OP wants to know what phone to get herself after she gives her D2 to her son. She really doesnt care about the keyboard as she uses Swype more often than not...so a full touch screen would be fine for her....

Zetsumei

Reaction score
Go with the X2 imo, it will get GB fairly soon and is more future proof than the original X. Don't get me wrong the original X is awesome, but I definately wouldn't buy one on contract.

Chimuel

Reaction score
My son wants my D2 because of the keyboard, which I don't always remember to use thanks to Swype. Question becomes: do I purchase a Droid X which has GINGERBREAD!!! or do I purchase a Droid X2 which has a dual-core processor but no GB? Are these apples to apples or apples to oranges? The forum I read last evening wasn't very favorable towards the X2; but I didn't like my Droid2 very much going from an LG enV Touch either. Help is needed, pretty please and very soon!!! He's impatient...Ah to be 19 again, NOT!

Thanks,
Wendy

I've just received my Droid X2 today and all I have to say is wow.

Things I like about the Droid X2
-The screen is super bright
-The screen is sharp... I really do not see why people are complaining about the pentile display, they must really have their eyes right on the display to notice the pixels
-Colours are much more vivid on the X2 than on the X (I can post pics if you want to see)
-HDMI mirroring... this is a pretty neat feature. I can see myself using this a lot.
-Dual core (though more on this below)

Things I don't like about the Droid X2
-Software is hindering the dual core processor... this phone really needs gingerbread and a dual core optimized blur. Moto really dropped the ball on this one
-Lack of the camera button

I'll be using both the DX and DX2 for the next month to see how it is living with the DX2 (I've had the DX for a little over a month already).

Right now I'd go for the DX2 because It'll be somewhat future-proofed with the Tegra 2 processor (somewhat = lack of 4G, but that's why I have the Thunderbolt). Be patient for the GB update on the DX2.

Last thing to point out -Droid X has been out for a year, going with a DX2 gives you another year of not upgrading.

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have a DX and with all these new phones coming out with the dual core processor blah blah blah it makes the dx feel outdated. Its only a year or so old.
I would 100% go with the X2 based completely on the fact its future proof.

FreeMyMoto!!!