Droid X not very smooth?

Cole119

Reaction score
I read in Engadget's hands-on first impressions that the Droid X gets choppy sometimes, and I just read in this review that it feels slow too: Motorola Droid X review: bigger, badder, better | ZDNet.

In that review they say that they think the processor is partially to blame; I thought that the OMAP was supposed to be more powerful than the Snapdragon, so why is it choppy? I was planning on returning my Incredible for this phone when it came out but now I'm starting to have second thoughts. Anyone know why it isn't performing as well as it should? Do you think it has something to do with all of the widgets on the homescreen by default and the live wallpaper?

Edit:
Here's a list of reviews mentioning sluggishness so far:
http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/motorola-droid-x-verizon/4505-6452_7-34122129-2.html?tag=txt;page
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/motorola-droid-x-review-bigger-badder-better/15890
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/560080/review/droid_x.html?tk=hp_rev
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365630,00.asp

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
OK. Not to start a flame war or anything else but considering the source I would take it with a grain of salt. I go to Engadget / Gizmodo for product announcements only. Their reviews of anything that isn't "THE IN THING" always tend to be very skewed or biased in my opinion. I would go check other mobile review sites before jumping off any bridges.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
And if this degrades into anything other than a discussion it will be closed.

J

Johnly

I will take my own word for it, Engadget has on a few occasions had a false perspective, especially if it isn't apple : ) The X will be smooth, and fast, I can assure you that......

OP
Cole119

Cole119

Reaction score
OK. Not to start a flame war or anything else but considering the source I would take it with a grain of salt. I go to Engadget / Gizmodo for product announcements only. Their reviews of anything that isn't "THE IN THING" always tend to be very skewed or biased in my opinion. I would go check other mobile review sites before jumping off any bridges.

Yeah, I was gonna wait for a more reviews to come in, I'm just on a strict timeline lol. I only have till the 27th to decide, so I want to find out the cause of this problem so I can know if it will ever be remediable :D.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'm just on a strict timeline lol. I only have till the 27th to decide, so I want to find out the cause of this problem so I can know if it will ever be remediable :D.

The source of your posted article is the problem :)

kamileon

Reaction score
Phil over at android central did a video of the DX and from what it looks like it seems to be very smooth. He did alot of jumping around in the phone and it took it all and smiled back asking for more. Looked pretty smooth and snappy IMO.

Mule65

Reaction score
I would think Froyo would eliminate any sort of lag and some widget management may be helpful for the znet phone. No worries. I do wish it didn't have Motoblur.

Last edited:

VegaLA

Reaction score
I worried about that review too, but when I saw the video that accompanied it, the UI looked very smooth indeed, I couldn't see where the problem was.
Still, something to keep an eye on just in case.

kamileon

Reaction score
I would think Froyo would eliminate any sort of lag and some widget management may be helpful for the znet phone. No worries. I do wish it didn't have Motoblur.

Officially Moto, VZW and Google are saying it is not Motoblur, just a skin that looks like blur.

jackpfree

Reaction score
even if the motoblur skin is causing the lag, you can always just not use it an opt for a home screen replacement app.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I also read somewhere that the review units don't have the final software on them too. But when it finally launches we'll see...

And looking at all the videos that's out it looks smooth to me too...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

SergeantDroid

Reaction score
I read the article. They did say it seemed slow. But, the only time they said it actually lagged, was when they unlocked the phone at the lock screen. My Droid does that but no big deal.