Droid X not very smooth?

OP
Cole119

Cole119

Reaction score
Phil over at android central did a video of the DX and from what it looks like it seems to be very smooth. He did alot of jumping around in the phone and it took it all and smiled back asking for more. Looked pretty smooth and snappy IMO.

I've watched a few videos too, but I have noticed what looked like lag when scrolling through the launcher or flipping through homescreens really fast. Those are really the only times I've seen it not run smooth, but that makes me worry about the other parts of the phone, like browsing the internet or touch responsiveness. BTW, I've updated the OP with links to more reviews mentioning the slowdowns.

darreno1

Reaction score
The choppiness is most likely the motoblur and the widgets. I think with a little customizing it can be cleared up. Also with Froyo, these quirks might disappear as well.

Guchi

Reaction score
weird how moto blur is getting blamed for choppiness but sense on the other hand was alleged to have caused smoothness... hmmm

jackpfree

Reaction score
weird how moto blur is getting blamed for choppiness but sense on the other hand was alleged to have caused smoothness... hmmm

to be fair, the software they are running on the phones is not the final version as others have pointed out. Just gotta wait and see.

jrodizkool01

Reaction score
Droid X isnt smooth especially on the homescreen. Swiping from one page to another look jagged and it has nothing to do with Engadget's interest in Apple products. Homescreens have never been the strongpoint in Android because with every phone I've seen that has had the stock Android launcher is a little choppy. The Droid X looks to be quick when entering an app but Google/Motorola needs to find a way to make the menus flow better. User shouldn't have to look for a homescreen alternative just to have the responsiveness that should have been in the origial launcher.

Last edited:

Frankiebonez

Reaction score
FWIW... granted stock even it wasnt super smooth, whatever. 99% of us will probably end up rooting it and having a sick, super smooth custom ROM on the DROID X. So whats the big deal? Its a great phone and I'm sure it will get the bugs out of it. Plus once Android 2.2 is released we know it will speed up.

soba1

Reaction score
Some vids I see are very smooth, if it wasn't said before these are promo units we are seeing. Rmember VZ is a stickler for the software pretty much being up to par

Guchi

Reaction score
Who cares if it scrolls choppy and seems slow... at least it will get the highest linpack and quadrant scores once its rooted, that's what matters. Or not......

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
Guys you are very very optimistic. Everything I have seen/heard/read so far is that the Droid X will be near impossible to root due to a signed bootloader. Unless something changes or something is leaked be prepared for a what you see is what you get phone.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Who cares if it scrolls choppy and seems slow... at least it will get the highest linpack and quadrant scores once its rooted, that's what matters. Or not......

Naw, what matters to me is better call quality and reception than the Droid and Inc. One review already said it handled a call where the Inc dropped it........:frown:

;)

I already know the Droid has excellent reception. If the X has better?!?!?!

Diversity Antennas ftw.....noise cancellation mics ftw.....3 different mics ftw.......

Guchi

Reaction score
^^^ where I live my inc has the same signal strength as my droid did and the due to the way i hold my phone (slightly away from my head as to not get sweat and stuff on the phone) the droids noise canceling would always cancel my voice so my wife would constantly be telling me "put your phone up to your head I cant hear you" not an issue with the inc. so for ME anyways, no noise canceling = win

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would think 2.2 (w/ JIT) would solve the lag issues, but who knows. I have a hard time believing that the lag is at all related to the new OMAP 3630 cpu.

Darkseider, do you have any links that talk specifically about the Droid X having a signed bootloader? I know that Motorola chose to do that with the Milestone, but it seems like it was a conscious decision not to do it with the Droid. I have read speculation about this happening with future Motorola phones, but I never saw any real evidence stating that Moto planned to do that with the X.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^^ where I live my inc has the same signal strength as my droid did and the due to the way i hold my phone (slightly away from my head as to not get sweat and stuff on the phone) the droids noise canceling would always cancel my voice so my wife would constantly be telling me "put your phone up to your head I cant hear you" not an issue with the inc. so for ME anyways, no noise canceling = win

Key phrases there. Where I work, is a bad reception area. I need a phone that has excellent reception. I dont think holding any of these smartphones directly/close to your face is ideal. I learned the hard way with the Omnia 1 a few years ago.

And to yall talking about rooting about the bootloader: One of the most unhackable machines known to man, the PS3, was finally opened up earlier this year or late last year.

I dont know when it will happen for the X, but: "Where theres a will, there's a way...."

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
I would think 2.2 (w/ JIT) would solve the lag issues, but who knows. I have a hard time believing that the lag is at all related to the new OMAP 3630 cpu.

Darkseider, do you have any links that talk specifically about the Droid X having a signed bootloader? I know that Motorola chose to do that with the Milestone, but it seems like it was a conscious decision not to do it with the Droid. I have read speculation about this happening with future Motorola phones, but I never saw any real evidence stating that Moto planned to do that with the X.

Ask and you shall receive.

Motorola Droid X system dump available; hackers already hard at it | Android Central

Second or third response after my initial post.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

Ask and you shall receive.

Motorola Droid X system dump available; hackers already hard at it | Android Central

Second or third response after my initial post.

Mannnnnn, that kind of ruined my day. I was hoping that was just speculation. Thanks for the quick response.

Bleh.

*I did just read that the Milestone was finally cracked despite the bootloader, but it's far from guaranteed that the X will follow suit.

Last edited: