Droid X not very smooth?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would think 2.2 (w/ JIT) would solve the lag issues, but who knows. I have a hard time believing that the lag is at all related to the new OMAP 3630 cpu.

Darkseider, do you have any links that talk specifically about the Droid X having a signed bootloader? I know that Motorola chose to do that with the Milestone, but it seems like it was a conscious decision not to do it with the Droid. I have read speculation about this happening with future Motorola phones, but I never saw any real evidence stating that Moto planned to do that with the X.

Ask and you shall receive.

Motorola Droid X system dump available; hackers already hard at it | Android Central

Second or third response after my initial post.

Motorola knows how to lock down a device when they want to... case in point, the Milestone.

let's hope the X is more hackable, but with wifi tethering a possibility out of the box, i highly doubt it

dwagner88

Reaction score
I've never understood why the stock launchers are so choppy. Even the Eris has a much smoother launcher than the Droid, despite being far less powerful. Google needs to hire Fede (the dev behind launcherpro) and get him to recode their stock launchers ASAP.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish one of these tech blogs with an X would slap LauncherPro or ADW on there and see if there is still any lag. If an Eris (with Sense) can run smoothly when swiping through homescreens and the menu, there is no reason why the X can't. It HAS to be related to stock Android OR whatever Motorola is calling their new skin that is on the X.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it is just the launcher, like u said. that might can be fixed with Launcher Pro, ADW, ZEAM, etc, if Blur will allow other launchers or will play nice if it does allow other launchers.

If scrolling in the Settings is slow, choppy too...thats not good. So we have to give HTC credit for doing something good: Sense UI.

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
I would think 2.2 (w/ JIT) would solve the lag issues, but who knows. I have a hard time believing that the lag is at all related to the new OMAP 3630 cpu.

Darkseider, do you have any links that talk specifically about the Droid X having a signed bootloader? I know that Motorola chose to do that with the Milestone, but it seems like it was a conscious decision not to do it with the Droid. I have read speculation about this happening with future Motorola phones, but I never saw any real evidence stating that Moto planned to do that with the X.

Ask and you shall receive.

Motorola Droid X system dump available; hackers already hard at it | Android Central

Second or third response after my initial post.

Mannnnnn, that kind of ruined my day. I was hoping that was just speculation. Thanks for the quick response.

Bleh.

*I did just read that the Milestone was finally cracked despite the bootloader, but it's far from guaranteed that the X will follow suit.

Sorry to rain on your parade so to speak. There is still hope that it can be rooted proper. Unfortunately if the Droid X, Droid 2 and Droid Pro are locked down tight looks like I may very well leave the VZW camp if the rumored dual core HTC Vision on T-Mobile is rootable. For me it is about the ability to fully control my hardware and software over carrier. If someone feels the need, in this case Motorola, to lock down a device that over a 2 year contract I will be paying over $199 + $2300 for (service included) I see no need to give VZW or Motorola any of my money. Hopefully people speak up with their wallets to show disapproval instead of just going with the flow. That's the only way any corporation will listen.

OP
Cole119

Cole119

Reaction score
I wish one of these tech blogs with an X would slap LauncherPro or ADW on there and see if there is still any lag. If an Eris (with Sense) can run smoothly when swiping through homescreens and the menu, there is no reason why the X can't. It HAS to be related to stock Android OR whatever Motorola is calling their new skin that is on the X.

Well Gizmodo featured an article yesterday about ADW so maybe they will do that in their review to see if the lag is just related to the stock launcher.