Droid X gpu

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does the Droid X have the same gpu as the Droid? If not, does anyone know specifically which gpu the X will have?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
JhankG

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just read on a few different sites that both the Droid X and the Droid 2 will be using the PowerVR SGX530 GPU. I am almost certain that the current Droid uses the same one. Although it would have been nice if Motorola had upgraded this on their new devices, the PowerVR SGX530 has always been considered to be a very capable GPU (and even more so when paired with OMAP's new 3630 CPU @ 1ghz I would assume). The Droid is able to handle most games and video a lot better than many of the phones using the snapdragon CPU, so I guess it's nothing to worry about.

J

Johnly

I just read on a few different sites that both the Droid X and the Droid 2 will be using the PowerVR SGX530 GPU. I am almost certain that the current Droid uses the same one. Although it would have been nice if Motorola had upgraded this on their new devices, the PowerVR SGX530 has always been considered to be a very capable GPU (and even more so when paired with OMAP's new 3630 CPU @ 1ghz I would assume). The Droid is able to handle most games and video a lot better than many of the phones using the snapdragon CPU, so I guess it's nothing to worry about.
That is what I hear. CNET just broke out a droid cpu article (easy to find) gonna be a fast device for sure....

OP
JhankG

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is what I hear. CNET just broke out a droid cpu article (easy to find) gonna be a fast device for sure....

This one?
Inside the Motorola Droid X | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

Definitely a good read if you're buying the X or a fan of TI's cpus.

J

Johnly

This one?
Inside the Motorola Droid X | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

Definitely a good read if you're buying the X or a fan of TI's cpus.
That is the one:icon_ banana:a good read huh?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Carlson also explained that other factors come into play beyond reaching the 1GHz milestone. "It's not just about the gigahertz. It's about your memory subsystem. Our memory bandwidth and how we feed these (processing) engines make an incredible difference," he said.
enuff said......

J

Johnly

IMO, there can never be enough said about processing guts:icon_ lala:

OP
JhankG

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Definitely a good read Johnly. This phone seems to have it all. I cannot wait for the 15th. If someone could have accessories like cases available before the 15th, it would definitely help pass the time! I remember I was able to talk a Verizon store into selling me the multimedia and car docks a few days before the Droid was released. Even though I couldn't do anything with them, they were still fun to look over and whatnot. I emailed Seidio earlier and asked when they might have their case available for the X.

J

Johnly

lol, you lucky dog! I must wait until November for an upgrade, but the droid is still rocking. I read somewhere earlier today that droid x cases were on sale? Dunno, but If I find that again I will post a link here...

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Much better than a Snapdragon.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
That is the one:icon_ banana:a good read huh?

That was a good read. Especially this...

And what's coming down the pike from TI? A dual-core OMAP 4430 chip will begin shipping in the fourth quarter, Carlson said. This should make its way into phones in the first half of 2011.

All smartphones are currently powered by single-core central processing units, or CPUs, which limits the number of tasks users can do simultaneously. When smartphones finally move to dual-core designs next year, a lot will change, according to Carlson.

"What you have to do is look at the workload. These aren't just phones anymore. You have a lot of different services and social networking going on behind the scenes. If you have one processor, it thrashes [slows down] a lot because you have to keep refilling the cache [memory]. With two processors [each with their own cache], you alleviate that. You actually see a boost in performance, a boost in page load times. We're seeing page load times of two seconds," Carlson said.