droid X gpu/cpu pweformance and game dev...

octdroidomus

Reaction score
hey droid fans. new droid x user here. :greendroid: glad to join the community and love the phone. been playing pocket legends and angry birds.

trying to dig up any knowledge i can on the DX gpu and cpu. the gpu is the power vr chip i understand. is it similar to the power vr gpu used in the dreamcast? how much dedicated video ram is available and How would the dx gpu/omap cpu compare to the galaxy s gpu/humminbird cpu in terms of real time 3d performance?

can the unreal 3 engine mobile run on the X? if the iphone 3gs can run unreal 3 mobile engine games like infinite blade and dungeon defenders. can the X do that too? i would think the x would run circles around the 3gs.

dose anyone here know of any free android game engines? so far i've found andengine and papaya both 2d. i'd like to try my hand at some basic android game dev. dancedroid

thanks
anthony

Last edited:

Trong

Reaction score
hey droid fans. new droid x user here. :greendroid: glad to join the community and love the phone. been playing pocket legends and angry birds lol.

been trying to dig up any knowledge i can on the DX gpu and cpu. the gpu is the power vr chip i understand. is it similar to the power vr gpu used in the dreamcast? how much dedicated video ram is available? How would the dx gpu/omap cpu compare to the galaxy s gpu/humminbird cpu in terms of real time 3d performance?

can the unreal 3 engine mobile run on the X? if the iphone 3gs can run unreal 3 mobile engine games like infinite blade and dungeon defenders. can the X do that too? i would think the x would run circles around the 3gs.

dose anyone here know of any free android game engines? so far i've found andengine and papaya both 2d. i'd like to try my hand at some basic android game dev. dancedroid

thanks
anthony

Droid X - OMAP3630 - 720 MHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX530 GPU + 430 MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)

iPhone 3GS - PowerVR SGX535

iPhone 4 - Same GPU as 3GS, super fast CPU

No, the X will not run circles around them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PowerVR_products#Series5_.28SGX.29

Trong

Reaction score
720?

10 characters
Sorry, forgot to correct that. The Droid X processor was designed to run at 720 Mhz but Motorola let's it run at 1000 Mhz.

If you look at the official name of the DX CPU, it's the TI OMAP 3630-1000

OP
O

octdroidomus

Reaction score
wow thanks for the super fast reply. straight to the point with some specs...how droid-like of you:greendroid: lOL. so i just downloaded the android sdk and java sdk. going to root my phone tomorrow. usb cable + android sdk turn my X into a fully blown debugging game dev kit.

checked out some wiki pages on the power vr sgx 5 series. it supports open gl 2.0, direct x 10 and pixel model shader 3.0. very nice indeed!

Have you heard of Jmonkey engine? it's a open GL 2.0 java engine and it seems like one of the more complete 3d engine framework out there for andorid. even has a terrain editor built in.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Guess that is why the OC capabilities are a little on the low side compared to the original Droid.

OP
O

octdroidomus

Reaction score
i just downloaded the jmonkey engine. haven't played around with it yet but looking forward to doing so soon:icon_ banana:

I while back i was working on a couple games but the pc market was very competitive and a saturated on windows and mac. i would always put my projects on hold and start them back up again and repeat the process. but now that i have been introduced to android i have been re-inspired to start a fresh project again. only this time for android mobile devices. becasue android has so few if any big name developers/publishers making games for it, it's a great time to make a game on android.

instead of submiting my game to android app store could i just host my game download on a dedicated web site? since google has a 50mb limit on the file size. i would need about a 500bm-1gb.

anthony

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
Awesome, more game developers working with Droid, the better.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
O

octdroidomus

Reaction score
did you see the new market place update? looks cool. very xbox liveish.

i just ran the quadrant standard benchmark and accoring the the results it showed my the DX surpassed the nexus one 2.2 and galaxy s in a overall calculated benchmark. sounds like the x is the baddest android phone until the gingerbread phones hit.

back to benchmarking...i ran the nena bench and my x scored a open gl 2.2 test of 23.7 fps but the terrain had good draw distance, butterflies and the water effects were quite impressive and had reflections. the fps drops pretty quick when calculating shadows. froyo could be holding it back. could i double my fps by overclocking?