Droid X drops Nav.

klientel

Reaction score
Went on a trip to Maryland this weekend and the Nav dropped constantly. I was forced to buy a paper map at a gas station.

Sometimes the Nav would just close suddenly, and other times it would freeze and force close.

Bill M

Reaction score
I called the tech support about this problem. My phone is continually dropping the gps map page and going to the gray directions screen. It appears the reason why this is happening is that the gps signal keeps getting lost.
Anyway, I called tech support about a few issues and they said they would send me a new phone, So I guess it's not a software issue.

rfranken

Reaction score
A couple days ago i did the airplane 50% no signal fix thing. and my nav hasn't dropped in the last two days.

ThirdWheel

Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear, you said you did the "airplane 50% signal thing" and it stopped your DX from dropping nav. What is the airplane 50% signal thing and how do you do it so I can try?

rfranken

Reaction score
it was recommended to do this if you have
"time without a signal 50%"
when looking at battery usage > click on cell standby

by holding the power button down
-turn on airplane mode
-then turn off your phone
-turn your phone back on
-leave it on for a minute
-turn airplane mode off

then after awhile check the battery usage to see if it goes down from 50%

KevinWP

Reaction score
I had this problem on my first phone, which turns out that it also had a bad headphone jack. I have since received a replacement phone and do not have this problem anymore:icon_ banana:.

Possible Cause: Line out jack shaking / crackling (sub audible) and triggering the phone to back arrow out of the application?

Action needed to test: Can anyone duplicate this problem with the line out cord unplugged?

ThirdWheel

Reaction score
I had this problem on my first phone, which turns out that it also had a bad headphone jack. I have since received a replacement phone and do not have this problem anymore:icon_ banana:.

Possible Cause: Line out jack shaking / crackling (sub audible) and triggering the phone to back arrow out of the application?

Action needed to test: Can anyone duplicate this problem with the line out cord unplugged?

Very interesting, I have a headphone jack that crackles if you jiggle the connection. I don't have a problem with NAV backing out once I put it in the dock which is more secure, but when I just had it sitting in a cupholder with the jack plugged in it backed out all the time.

Question though, why would the headphone jack crackling cause the NAV to back out?

PACanesFan

Reaction score
I used Nav. without the headphone jack and it was backing out.

UNC

Reaction score
Looks like Big Red is pushing their Navigator harder than I thought they would...

KevinWP

Reaction score
Very interesting, I have a headphone jack that crackles if you jiggle the connection. I don't have a problem with NAV backing out once I put it in the dock which is more secure, but when I just had it sitting in a cupholder with the jack plugged in it backed out all the time.

Question though, why would the headphone jack crackling cause the NAV to back out?

Get a new phone. The crackling will only get worse.

To answer your 'why' question, my crackling phone was randomly redialing and activating voice command. It was interpreting the 'crackling' as feedback as if from a blue tooth click command coming in over the line out port.

One day it was so bad that the act of driving over a speed bump, shook the line out jack, and activated voice command.

Someone else has posted that they have duplicated the nav problem without a line in the jack, so that's no longer a good theory... but it was a theory.

It's still possible that the nav backout is due to a mechanical vibration in the phone.. a loose connection and the car dock may be more isolated...causing it to happen less in the oem car dock.... But that's another theory and much harder to test. (My Nav would back out in the car dock)

Thanks

Kevin

rfranken

Reaction score
just a short update on my progress. I was Never able to go over 10 minutes without a blackout on my dx when using nav. tried many many times. between 2 seconds and 10 minutes it Always would go black at some point in that time frame

since i did the 50% airplane mode thing....it hasn't blacked out once.
granted i've only been able to test it 3 times. 25 mins. 15 minutes and 40 minutes. but all 3 times it worked perfect.

could be a crazy coincidence but i don't know of anything else i changed besides that 50% airplane thingy.