Droid X custom bootloader logos to replace Motorola logo

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Over in this topic we've been playing with using a custom SBF to replace the bootloader logo/image on the Droid 1 (bootloader image, not boot animation). A couple of folks have gotten adventurous and tried to do the Droid X. While the Droid X does indeed use the exact same scheme for it's CG42 (bootloader image), that doesn't mean you can use the same SBF. Hopefully if you tried it would just fail, but I could see it just as easily trashing the phone (the CDT between the two devices is wildly different).

So, the process of making the CG42 itself (helper) is the same, but the SBF is different.

Here are a couple SBF's to get you pointed in the right direction.

Note: Most of the code groups on the DX are signed and can't just be replaced at will. CG42 is not signed, so you can replace it without making the phone angry.

The original bootloader logo (package link in case you want to go back to stock at some point) looks like this:

attachment.php

I also made a custom one (package link) using the DF logo by Dandroid and Johndroid:

14768d1283754877-droid-1-custom-bootloader-logos-replace-motorola-logo-df_bootloader_logo_2_tatdylf.png

I would have also done TParker76's logo, but I figured someone might want to do that one "for homework". :)

jlutz555

Reaction score
Awesome work as always!

This still leaves me wondering if we can figure out how to calculate the checksums without having to flash twice. Has anyone had any luck?

luke1333

Reaction score
awesome man!! could you please make me one with just the New York Yankees logo? that would be awesome! let me know thanks!!

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
awesome man!! could you please make me one with just the New York Yankees logo? that would be awesome! let me know thanks!!
The Lab isn't really all about that. We're all about helping discover how to do it yourself. Between the files in this topic, and the instructions here and here, you should have everything you need.

Let us know how you make out.

Shibbey

Reaction score
Or for requests, feel free to visit the links in Jlutz's sig or my own.
I am determined to streamline this process even more. Motocache's script is a great tool. From what I discovered last night, his script could be put on steroids to completely create the SBF directly. Schoolwork tonight then, off to work on that mysterious checksum. Looking at your perl script messed me up when I went to do my C# homework. Lol.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Or for requests, feel free to visit the links in Jlutz's sig or my own.
I am determined to streamline this process even more. Motocache's script is a great tool. From what I discovered last night, his script could be put on steroids to completely create the SBF directly. Schoolwork tonight then, off to work on that mysterious checksum. Looking at your perl script messed me up when I went to do my C# homework. Lol.
Yeah, because reading Perl will make you not want to program in C#. Hahaha. Perl is awesome for some things, but C# is a great language to know.

I was going to write a CGI program where folks could upload their CG42.smg file and it would create a complete SBF for them (proper checksum and all) and push it back. Sounds like you've got the same notion. If you've got the free time for it, do it to it man. You've got the algorithm for the checksum -- honestly, that's the hard part so you should be all set.

Shibbey

Reaction score
I had the same idea. More like a GUI in C# to upload an image to it or drag and drop. Alter it inside the GUI (crop, etc), display a preview and output a valid SBF ready to flash. I just need to finish figuring out that 16 bit checksum in the HMG file.

BTW, when did you change this thread to Droid X?? Lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I had the same idea. More like a GUI in C# to upload an image to it or drag and drop. Alter it inside the GUI (crop, etc), display a preview and output a valid SBF ready to flash. I just need to finish figuring out that 16 bit checksum in the HMG file.

BTW, when did you change this thread to Droid X?? Lol
Didn't - there's two threads -- one for the X (this one) and the original one for the D1.

Shibbey

Reaction score
Oooops

Guess in my Tapatalk venturing, I migrated to the X one. Oh well, still all good info.

Skeemask

Reaction score
GOT ONE!!! Thanks a million MotoCache1! Booting with the Pirate Droid with the gray background now.

Read through the "Hacking erroneous output of SBF Codec" thread and followed along. Then took a look at this. You gave a good hint in the beginning of this thread.

Used the RDL3_0x82000000.smg file from the known good (your file). You also mentioned that the CG42 files used the same process, so I unpacked one confirmed working for the Droid and used it. Repackaged them. The difference between the Droid and the X is the addresses of the files that it's overwriting I believe, so repackaged using an SBF that you uploaded that works for the X. Flashed, saw Code Corrupt error on my phone for the first time :eek:, changed the SBF's hex values to match the error log(this part had me stumped for a bit...was trying to change the hex values in the smg files, then repackage them but kept getting errors), then reflashed. Worked like a charm!

Now to go do damage control with my gf. Managed to completely ignore her for like 8 hours last night when I was reading through the other threads and following along before I finally got brave/confident/stupid enough to actually try flashing my phone. dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

Shibbey

Reaction score
Skeemask. Would you mind attaching, or sending me the final sbf that you got working on the X? I have been making a bunch for the D1, and I have been asked to make a few for the X. I did not have a reference point or one to mess around with to test. Would you please share in more detail your discoveries.

Skeemask

Reaction score
Attached the working file. Also step by step was basically this:

1. Unpackaged an existing, working SBF from one of the ones MotoCache1 posted at the beginning of this thread.

2. Kept the RDL3_0x82000000.smg from that one.

3. Unpackaged a CG42_0xC0580000.smg from a working Droid 1 file. (to avoid making a mistake creating one from scratch)

4. Renamed that CG42 to CG42_0xB0800000.smg to match the Droid X's naming standards for peace of mind.

5. Replaced the CG42 in the original X SBF with the new one from the Droid 1.

6. Flashed the file and used the error log to change the SBF's hex values using HxD. This is where I made the mistake of trying to edit the CG42 and RDL3's hex values individually before packaging them. Had to edit the value after they were packaged in the SBF.

7. Reflashed and success. I'm going to try it a couple more times tonight to get the process down and fluid. If I find anything else, I'll add it to the thread. Also, I forgot to write down the address of the hex values I had to edit in the SBF. I'll add those later tonight too.

Also of note, the Start Address and End Address of the files in the SBF are different.
RDL3 uses:
Droid 1: 80500000 to 8054CFFF
Droid X: 82000000 to 8204CFFF

CG42 uses:
Droid 1: C0580000 to C05BFFFF
Droid X: B0800000 to B083FFFF

Shibbey

Reaction score
Thanks. I have a test I want to run tonight after work, provided MC1 doesn't beat me to it. I am curious to see about the checksum calculation. I solved the D1 16 bit checksum mystery and I am curious to see it the DX uses teh same calculation. This will solve all the flashing to see what the checksum SHOULD be issue.

Plus if I get it figured out, I can make boot logos for the DX without a device to test flash them.

Skeemask

Reaction score
Until you get the checksum calc program up and running, let me know if you have anything you need tested. My phone so far has taken everything I've thrown at it and if all else fails, I have another upgrade left on my Verizon account to replace it if it bricks.

:p

Skeemask

Reaction score
So started playing some more. The checksum is at 033E and 033F.

Other than the checksum error, flashing boot images is cake. The Perl script that MC1 posted works like a champ and the top left corner's pixel color still changes the rest of the background color. I took your Droid-tits picture and used it as a guinea pig to test that one out. Let me know if you want me to try anything out for you.