Droid X Camera Problems

AndyinUtah

Reaction score
Camera issue fixed

I did the update a few days ago but just now realized I am having the same problem as everyone else so I am assuming it started after the update and I just haven't used the camera since. Has anyone found a solution yet?

I have had this issue with my phone and i finally got a fix. After not successful tries of doing hard resets, soft resets, reformatting my memory card i finally got it. this is what i did:

1st. I went to files and deleted the DCMI folder by long pressing it and seleting delete. (Beware that you will lose your pics or whatever is on it so i suggest backing it up on you computer.) Do NOT create a new DCMI folder.

2nd. I reformatted my memory card

3rd. I made sure all my tagging was off (i dont know if this helped or not)

and i turned on the camera and IT WORKED!! Hopefully it will work for you too! I have taken many of pictures and videos to make sure it works and everything has been fine so far.

I havent tried to put the old pics or vids on my phone bc its not worth the risk

Huge Thanks for taking the time to post this fix. The key for me was your step 1 - I deleted the DCMI folder and I'm back in business. Much appreciated! I've had a couple things with this Droid X, but at the end of the day - I've really enjoyed it and love it most of the time.

charfuer

Reaction score
Do not replace...it will not help...I am in the process of dealing with Verizon Corp about this...the first pic or vid I take is completely black..after that it's fine.
If anyone has a solution..please post.

My Droid X camera is showing a black screen for both camera and camcorder. No solution with a quick reset or a factory restore. Is anybody else having these issues? Tech Support says a replacement is the only fix.

bphillips65

Reaction score
camera problem

My shutter will not open so only have a black screen and can not take pictures or videos.

57fuelieroadster

Reaction score
My Droid X camera is showing a black screen for both camera and camcorder. No solution with a quick reset or a factory restore. Is anybody else having these issues? Tech Support says a replacement is the only fix.

I have the exact same MO. I have tried everything people have suggested to me to no avail.

57fuelieroadster

Reaction score
I have had this issue with my phone and i finally got a fix. After not successful tries of doing hard resets, soft resets, reformatting my memory card i finally got it. this is what i did:

1st. I went to files and deleted the DCMI folder by long pressing it and seleting delete. (Beware that you will lose your pics or whatever is on it so i suggest backing it up on you computer.) Do NOT create a new DCMI folder.

2nd. I reformatted my memory card

3rd. I made sure all my tagging was off (i dont know if this helped or not)

and i turned on the camera and IT WORKED!! Hopefully it will work for you too! I have taken many of pictures and videos to make sure it works and everything has been fine so far.

I havent tried to put the old pics or vids on my phone bc its not worth the risk

I have searched my files and do not see a DCMI file. I found a DCIM file....is this the correct one to delete? Also...when you reformat your memory card do you lose everything on it? Where do you turn tagging off? Thanx

Last edited:

ajohnson

Reaction score
Droid x

I've seen one other thread from a user with a similar issue. The shutter in the DroidX is mechanical (not software), your's clearly has a problem and should be replaced.

I have had my DROID X formatted 6 times and I have had it replace twice and they all have the same damn problems. My phone freezes up turns off by itself and sometimes i cant turn it off and have to take the battery out to turn it off. I have a problem with my camera not saving pictures and when it does save they look over exposed and discolored. I have also had an issue with my video, it will not open or let me take videos. On top of that my phone some times won't even allow me to view my galleries, it will just show a black screen and nothing else. I was told by Verizon to reset my ****ing phone again for the seventh time and reset all my factory setting, and if that doesn't work they will send me another stupid "refurbished phone", which is bull-****!!!... I am about to switch carriers!

Jd13x3

Reaction score
Have you tried dumping the data under the camera app?
I had the camera go hay-wire on me a couple times and it seems to work.
At one point the hard camera shutter button didn't work either.

I have had my DROID X formatted 6 times and I have had it replace twice and they all have the same damn problems. My phone freezes up turns off by itself and sometimes i cant turn it off and have to take the battery out to turn it off. I have a problem with my camera not saving pictures and when it does save they look over exposed and discolored. I have also had an issue with my video, it will not open or let me take videos. On top of that my phone some times won't even allow me to view my galleries, it will just show a black screen and nothing else. I was told by Verizon to reset my ****ing phone again for the seventh time and reset all my factory setting, and if that doesn't work they will send me another stupid "refurbished phone", which is bull-****!!!... I am about to switch carriers!