Droid X Camera Problems

shawnsnewdroidx

Reaction score
droid x camera fixed

I had the same issue camera showing black and they were going to replace my camera. Well I turned off the live magic smoke wallpaper and camera is working 100 percent right on the spot. It might work for you. Good luck

morehabanero

Reaction score
Same issues with my new Droid X, after update. Camera can't focus, produces fuzzy pictures, sometimes goes black when choosing a gallery pic and now has lines flashing across screen. Reset and formatting SD card didn't help. Technical Support sending a new phone.

Matackable

Reaction score
Same issues. Works sometimes but most of the time it stays black.

I updated the phone with the latest software, and did all the basic fix solutions. Nothing worked and the phone still lacks a camera.

Very frustrating for the price paid on the phone.

Last edited:

imail724

Reaction score
I did the update a few days ago but just now realized I am having the same problem as everyone else so I am assuming it started after the update and I just haven't used the camera since. Has anyone found a solution yet?

awt1231

Reaction score
My X has delevoped the same issue with the camera. It worked great up through Friday the 23rd, but on Saturday morning when I went to use it, I got only a blank screen in both camera and camcorder modes. I did call Verizon tech support, and they instructed me to do a factory reset, which I did. But no success. I have also tried the hard reset of pulling the battery, and just cycling power ( as all of you would normally do ). I also tried the system update, but mine shows that it is up to date. Is there a way to force it to redownload the update? It would appear that this update might have caused issues. Any thoughts?
Thanks
West Georgia area

Zekey

Reaction score
camera goes black.

I just recently had same problem. Camera/video mode goes black screen and freezes up the camera. The back button or main screen button do not funtion. The only thing that seems to work to unlock the freeze is the sleep mode or turn off completely and restart. Mine started this behavior after the recent download that the phone suggested I have.

I've read here where people have the camera/black screen but my phone also freezes up and didnt know if anyone has this problem as well. Called Verizon and they said they "have not heard of this problem" but are sending me new phone. Why cant the Verizon techs just tell us the truth. Its not like they can keep that stuff a secret.

Apparently the Verizon store guys say there is nothing you can do to fix the phone.......need new one. I just hope the "new ones" do not have the same software glitch or this is going to be a long summer. Anyone else's phone freeze up?

awt1231

Reaction score
I went into the Verizon service center today to see if there was anything that could be done. The ??? looks on their faces was priceless. And after they called Verizon Tech Support, I got on the phone with them and they were beating the same drum. Never heard of such, but the person was did think outside of the box and did some searching on google and found that there are several people across the country having the same issues. Some started on 7-15-10 just hours after they received the unit. This can be found on the Motorola forums site. Verizon did extend my warranty another 2 weeks in hope that the 2.2 OS update would fix these issues. If not, I maybe switching to a HTC Inc.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine is being replaced for camera failure........new unit orderd by VZW tonight,,,, I wonder what happend

blondiedroid02

Reaction score
Same here..

I got my Droid X on Friday afternoon and until today, it worked fine.
Now when I try to view my photo gallery, I get nothing but a black screen.
Very irritating especially when I chose this over the iPhone because of the supposedly better camera. Grrrrrr

And yes, I tried the update. Didn't work. Same thing is happening.
:icon_evil:
I guess I'll be at the Verizon store tomorrow giving it back. Going with AT&T after six plus years with Verizon. Would rather have a phone/camera that WORKS.

Matackable

Reaction score
I got done talking to both the Verizon store in my area and the corporate customer service line.

Both sides were telling me that I can't have my phone replaced because they are back ordered on the phone and I would have to bring my phone back to them, and wait 3 weeks for a new phone.

This is just unacceptable. I buy a phone, spend a lot of money on it, and they're telling me that I have to wait to get my phone?

To add salt to the wound, they said that I have to return it within the 30 day worry free guarantee time period or else they won't be able to help me.

I'm not very impressed with Verizon's Customer service at the moment.

Wish I had as much luck with replacing my phone as you guys.

EDIT: I applied blunt force to the camera area and now the camera works. I'll keep you guys updated on the fix. Haha.

Last edited:

Zekey

Reaction score
Very interesting. Lets analyze. They (VZN) do a launch with a batch of bad phones that freeze up, go black when you try and use the camera, screen issues, then when you try and get it replaced you cant cuz they ran out of defective phones. I love it. THEN, just in case your not pissed enough, they tell you your 30 days are running while you wait 3 weeks for your new defective phone. WOW.

My "new" one should be arriving today. I will let you know how that goes. Maybe going back to Sprint, or at the least to the Incredible. Thats an awesome HTC phone.

Zekey

Reaction score
Rec'd my "new/like new" replacement phone. Looks like a new phone. Not one scratch or slight defect in appeareance. It did not come with a battery as I was told to use my existing batt. in original phone.

I was originally planning on activating new phone myself by calling that "special #" they give you but have decided to let the guys at Verizon store do it. This way if it doesnt work they cant blame me when I swap out for HTC Incredible. I'm really hoping this one has the updated camera software .516 and I can keep this phone as I otherwise love it. Will let you know how things turn out.

imail724

Reaction score
Holy ****. My camera just started working again And verizon is supposed to be shipping me a new phone tomorrow. Weird

Zekey

Reaction score
Brought my "new/like new" replacement Droid X to VRW today for programming as I didnt want to attempt myself. First, I must say the new phone VRW sent (sans battery) looked flawless. Looks like brand new phone. Very impressed. Guy at store says they are all new at this point since the phone hasnt been out long enough for rebuilts. He said takes 3 months for that to kick in. Who knows.

Second, I'm glad I brought in to store for activation, as there was slight problem transferring all my phone #'s to new phone. I tried to watch the guy but he was going so fast I didnt want to be a PITA. Anyway, he was able to retrieve from back-up app on phone instead of the G-mail acct. I didnt really catch the whole issue, I'm just glad I went in to store. Very good service and they were very nice. I guess the personal data, ie. phone #'s, pics, music are not stored on the 16 gig sim card but on the 8gig built in flash drive ???? Anyway, the new phone works great and the camera works better than my original. I realize now that my original never really worked as well as it should have as I never had the red focus square in the screen. All is good here in Clearwater Florida.