jrl9851

Reaction score
.516 updated software shots:

droid-x-camera-2.jpg

droid-x-camera-1.jpg

droid-x-camera-3.jpg

just4747

Reaction score
Lol the 2 new samples they posted on their page don't look any less foggy/blurry than the originals....what is wrong with their copy of the phone? Do they not realize it looks especially bad? How could they not have seen other photos on the net and seen the difference?

This angers me.

DROIDX_Steady_8MP.jpg

DROIDX_8MP_Steady_Indoors.jpg

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
That's because they still have the same droid x they got a while back, running .514. Andrew (BGR writer) said they can't figure out how to get the newest camera update.

I'm guessing all droid x's from launch day on will have the .516 software.

just4747

Reaction score
Yeah but how can a simple software update change something like haziness/blurriness like that? I haven't seen one mention in either of their articles about cleaning the lens or anything...or maybe the lens has haze on the underside, I dunno.

But they barely seem to acknowledge how their pics look compared to others...

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
That's because they don't really want to admit that the droid takes awesome pictures. They are iphone fanboys, remember.

But at least they admitted they are running the old software. And software can make a HUGE difference. Focus changes everything.

Balthazar B

Reaction score
One thing the firmware will do is post-processing and conversion to jpeg. Could be some of the meh PQ is coming from those processes. But it sure does look like the lens is not the best quality. Even on the .516 pictures.

CCMDOc

Reaction score
"Shutter lag" and quality of photos on my original motoDroid were very disappointing. Got an Incredible and both substantially better. Would go wth an X so long as quaity and speed of focus/"shutter" are at least as good if not better.
Any fair comparisons out there yet?

armalite

Reaction score
Don't think I'll be giving up my Canon 1DMKIV anytime soon :) Some of those shots are very soft and the WB seems to be off.

darreno1

Reaction score
Regarding the Picasa album pics, the first 10 shots or so were great but the others were kinda soft like the lens needed cleaning. As crazy as this sounds, and I know it happens with my Droid, I believe the lens needed to be cleaned on some of these. Anyway in a couple days I'll be doing a lot tests of my own (hopefully):)

Overall these aren't bad at all (Picasa album). Won't replace my dslr but if I can get consistent shots that look like the first few of these, then it can easily replace a point and shoot in normal lighting. Low lighting performance needs to be seen some more. I haven't seen enough to be convinced one way or another and flash is a must. These tiny sensors just cannot take a good enough pic in low light without a light source.

sic0048

Reaction score
Yeah but how can a simple software update change something like haziness/blurriness like that?

Remember the Hubble telescope? When it was first put into orbit, something was wrong with the lens or placement/alignment or something like that. Basically they thought it was going to be the most expensive piece of space junk ever created. Then they realized they could "fix" the problem with a software update, which they did, and we've been getting incredible pictures from it ever since.

So software can make a huge difference.

NytroGirl

Reaction score
Thanks! Those pics make me feel much more at ease. I was concerned about the camera issues.

ETA: Just looked at the Picassa pics. Very nice I must say. For a dang camera phone, that's impressive. Oh and the pana view, holy cow I love that.

Last edited:

hatchin

Reaction score
How do you verify that the Droid X has the .516 update on it? If it has the old software on it how do you update it?

Last edited: