Droid x camera doesn't focus well

Maestro

Reaction score
I've had my Droid X for only a few days and I love the big screen and lots of characteristics. But I'm very disappointed with the camera. Every shot I take is slightly out of focus. What good is 8 megapixel without focus? Any suggestions? Yes, I've tried all the diffferent "scenes" which improve things a bit, but it's still no comparison to my friends and thier iphones' pictures!

montyHD

Reaction score
I've had my Droid X for only a few days and I love the big screen and lots of characteristics. But I'm very disappointed with the camera. Every shot I take is slightly out of focus. What good is 8 megapixel without focus? Any suggestions? Yes, I've tried all the diffferent "scenes" which improve things a bit, but it's still no comparison to my friends and thier iphones' pictures!

I've had issues with focus as well. For best pics make sure that you have adequate light. Even with the flash focusing can be an issue. In addition make sure you have a clean lens. Smudges can really mess up the pics.

montyHD

Reaction score
Vignette seems to take better pix. There's a free version.

also am a fan of vignette

Wow. I just downloaded the demo. Bought it after a couple of pics. Wish it had video as well. I think my big issue is the shutter button on the droid x. It is way too stiff especially if you have a gel skin on. Touch screen shutter is really nice. Hope a video program comes out soon.

Wnclivin

Reaction score
Agreed, the camera software on this phone is pathetic. Every photo (unless held perfectly still and taken in bright light) is unfocused and has tons of "noise" in it. Some people have said to abandon auto settings and manually adjust iso and exposure. Personally, I feel like an 8mp camera on a $600 flagship device should take fast focused pictures every time with a simple, quick button press. Plus when you have kids you need a fast camera.

Anyway...Vignette is awesome. Much clearer and faster pics. Hopefully Froyo will continue to improve on the camera software like the 604 update did. I do have to compliment the HD video recording on the X...it looks stunning especially blown up on HDTV :)

debaucher

Reaction score
Everyone here does realize that this is a PHONE with a camere right.... not a camera with a phone.

Plus when you cram 8mp on a tiny sensor you will get noise, there is no way around that.

I just wish Motorola did not fall prey to the consumer misconception that more megapixels=better camera and just stuck with 5mp on the x (although that probably would have put a crimp on the 720p video).

So, as long as you remember the x is a PHONE with a camera you will be better off.

Plus like others said, you are probably moving the phone when you try and take a pic (stiff button) so using a different camera app may help you out.

Just my. 000000002 cents

D.

JBHorner

Reaction score
Regardless of whether it's a phone with a camera or not, the fact remains that it is subpar in quality. I have an Evo and the DX. The Evo takes far better pictures--and, gosh, it's a phone too.

I don't think people expect DSLR quality, but there is an expectation of having simple things like pictures that aren't out of focus.

Joel

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
Regardless of whether it's a phone with a camera or not, the fact remains that it is subpar in quality. I have an Evo and the DX. The Evo takes far better pictures--and, gosh, it's a phone too.

I don't think people expect DSLR quality, but there is an expectation of having simple things like pictures that aren't out of focus.

Joel

I agree. I was at a wedding over the weekend and forgot to bring my point-and-shoot camera. I'd taken excellent photos with my X in daylight, so I decided to try it ... but found that the low lighting in the reception hall produced grainy, dark, and generally hideous photos, even using the flash. I would've chalked it up to the "it's a phone, not a camera" argument if my stepdaughter hadn't been there alongside me, taking brilliantly clear and rich photos with the camera on her Droid Incredible. I tried using the Vignette demo as well as the stock camera, but had no luck with either. I'm not a professional photographer, but shouldn't an 8MP camera with a built-in flash be able to do better? The camera was one of the reasons I opted for the X over the Incredible. Overall, I'm in love with the X ... but this was disappointing.

wdprice3

Reaction score
my DX pictures have always been pretty decent... you guys are letting it focus, then taking the picture, it is a two stage button...?

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
my DX pictures have always been pretty decent... you guys are letting it focus, then taking the picture, it is a two stage button...?

Yup. Same as my Canon PowerShot -- press halfway to focus, then the rest of the way to take the picture. Works great in daylight ... not so much in low light or at night.

dkst0426

Reaction score
Yup. Same as my Canon PowerShot -- press halfway to focus, then the rest of the way to take the picture. Works great in daylight ... not so much in low light or at night.

I third that sentiment.

When you're dealing with such a small package, external factors beyond the X's control come even more into play, such as lighting. Also, while the LED flash is nice, it's still a built-in flash. I've used DSLRs for years, and know that when indoors or in poor light, built-in flashes are pretty much little pieces of junk that are of minimal help. For close-ups, maybe, but for long shots, forget about it.

Having 8 mp on the X is nice, but you should never be under the impression that it'll be the same quality picture as a regular 8 mp camera. All cameras aren't created equal.

Oh, and it's a phone, not a camera. :)

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985

I third that sentiment.

When you're dealing with such a small package, external factors beyond the X's control come even more into play, such as lighting. Also, while the LED flash is nice, it's still a built-in flash. I've used DSLRs for years, and know that when indoors or in poor light, built-in flashes are pretty much little pieces of junk that are of minimal help. For close-ups, maybe, but for long shots, forget about it.

Having 8 mp on the X is nice, but you should never be under the impression that it'll be the same quality picture as a regular 8 mp camera. All cameras aren't created equal.

Oh, and it's a phone, not a camera. :)

I was just surprised at the tremendous difference in quality between photos taken in daylight and photos taken in, well, anything else.

And yeah, I know it's a phone and not a camera. I figured it out when I discovered I couldn't make phone calls on my PowerShot. ;)