DROID X already a dinosaur?

reuuin88

Reaction score
I've always had the "latest and greatest" when I could of technology, with that said. I still feel like I'm leaps and bounds ahead of my friends caring around iphone4s. My DX does everything I need it to right now.

But with all that said I am a little envious of 4g. But I tend to avoid first-out new technology, aka the thunderbolt. Its just a non wise investment considering things will only improve greatly with battery life, software etc for 4g improvement and efficiency.

I am quite excited for the bionic quite frankly. I don't see myself ever investing in a samsung phone after seeing how little support they've had for their galaxy line and how they refuse servicing. But I've told myself flat out that my next phone will have a front facing camera, preferably a top notch camera 1080p video recording, hdmi mirroring capable,4g, and dual core. Until they roll all that into a phone, I think the droid x will still trump phones hanging around. And vs longevity vs other phones, in my personal opinion its lasted longer than most. And will still to come.

jeremycnly

Reaction score
I've always had the "latest and greatest" when I could of technology.....

.....But I tend to avoid first-out new technology, aka the thunderbolt.

What? Then you never had the latest and greatest.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

iNfAMOUS702

Reaction score
Drod2169..kejar..chevy are working on the tbolt..didnt fab move on to samsung fones?..cm7 is a no go on the DX..a stable UD rom will prolly never happen on the DX...team defuse is awol...obsidian is no more..who knows what TBH are doing nowadays...the dev support is a dying breed on the droid X..not to mention that most developers didnt even bother to mess with the DX...only 2 guys come to mind and thats bbcrackman and jrummy (both great) ...i LOVE my DX but moved on to the tbolt and a big reason for that was the amazing support that the developer community has given it in only a few weeks :O

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
That not true any android device running 1ghz or hack wont be outdated reguardless what ppl say. A device outdated usually is coming from htc quicker then motorola. And, fyi i have my droid 1 can runs 96% of apps running android 2.3 and down just fine.

I don't care about the bootloader or new ROMs.

As someone else pointed out, each and every device is pretty much outdated within 6-8 weeks.

Dual core, big deal until apps come out that can make use of multi-threading.

Front facing camera, I'd never use it.

4G data speeds, awesome, except for the fact that I'm on wifi 90% of the time.

Give me something I would actually make use of before I would call my device too old.

modisch

Reaction score
I think it is still a mainstay phone.

4g isn't widely available so that isn't a killer feature (besides, any time I yearn for speed, I'm already on wifi and better off than 4g). Also, removing the 3g throttle doubled by bandwidth.

Cpu-wise, it is plenty fast with a custom rom. And I've seen people with modestly clocked dx's on gb get quadrant scores over 2000. The bionic (dual core) gets 2200s and the atrix gets 2600s. So they *are* faster but the difference isn't so big that the dx is obsolete in comparison. The phone that will crush the DX is the Samsung Galaxy S II. But that didn't drop until may or june. And rather than making the dx obsolete, the SGSII is simply bleeding edge.

The DX doesn't have a front facing camera, so it won't have video chat in gtalk (which has been announced). But that feature isn't out yet... So it isn't crucial.

I think right now the DX is a middle of the pack phone. In six months it will be a low end phone. Maybe in nine months it will be fully obsolete.

I think the dx is being end-of-life'd early in order to force consumers into newer phones. But it won't be obsolete for some time after.

I think the longevity of the dx is enough to take a person from upgrade to upgrade without feeling the burn of obsolescence.

I got my DX in November... I'm confident it will take me this November, at which point I will try to get a high end phone with an unlocked bootloader.

That's my take.

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }

droidxethan

Reaction score
The DX will not be out dated for a loooong time I was wanting a new phone but then realized that this phone works perfectly fine and does everything I need it to and its impossible to brick yeah its locked but its whatever im use to it now this phone will become the next original DROID I no alot of ppl that wont get rid of the DROID until they abosolutly have to and that's how im starting to feel about this phone. And now that I got a xoom my itch to get a new phone has been scratched

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I think that it is.. especially when you see the Thunderbolt with more roms than us within a week.. damn locked bootloader

Well the Thunderbolt's battery life sucks to be blunt and every time you read about 4G there is some kind of problem with the network or the new phones. Once they figure it out I will get one for now my DX rocks. As far as that goes my wife's D1 is good too...

KHeeney5

Reaction score
My X was purchased to last me 6 months until I have another upgrade. I'm awaiting the Samsung Galaxy S II. :) SHOULD BE AMAZING!