droid x 4g ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJD1976

Reaction score
I just talked with Tier 2 Support because of reception issues, and she said that Google's update to 2.2 next month will also include an update to have the Droid X compatible with 4G.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, it will not include an update to 4g. That requires new hardware that the X doesn't posses.

Flite

Reaction score
I live in the country and my only option of home internet service is satellite internet (HughesNet... had it, hated it) or Verizon MiFi which is just 3g cell service going to my computer.

I don't see 4g as being all that important. 3g is plenty fast for a single home computer (lags if multiple things are using the signal). For a phone, I don't see 4g making much difference at all. Large files will be downloaded faster, but it's not exactly slow right now. Between that, and the 18+ month wait for it to start being wide-spread, I wouldn't hold off on a Droid X purchase because you want 4g.

Rouge

Reaction score
LTE requires a SIM card, dont expect any phones until the beginning of next year at least.

zook_b

Reaction score
Worrying about LTE/4G is a bit premature. Most areas won't have it for at least 12-18 months, and GOOD coverage in your areas for 18-30, at which point you'll be close to your 2-year or past it. I wouldn't avoid the X because of anything related to LTE/4G, bottom line.

Exactly what I was thinking. I plan on staying on this DX till LTE is widely available in my area. Even when that fabled Droid Pro comes out something else will be out by the time my upgrade is up, and LTE is available here.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

zook_b

Reaction score
AFAIK you need a SIM card for any LTE phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jpease

Reaction score
I am gonna wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation phone before I switch to a 4g phone. The way things are going that could be soon.

thefuzz

Reaction score
Waiting for the "best" phone is like waiting for a new CPU to come out so you don't buy a computer. There will always be a "better" phone around the corner. If you are truly concerned, then buy the X outright and sell it when the latest greatest comes out.

As for 4g on the X, can not happen. It's a baseband issue and every indication is all 4g phones will need a sim card! Who hates sim cards????

ChbenneTT

Reaction score
sim card and 4g??

LTE requires a SIM card, dont expect any phones until the beginning of next year at least.
Now I'm not claiming to be an expert or more informed, but I can tell you with certainty that the DX has a multitude of sim card functions built onto it even though there isn't a sim card. If you root your phone and look into some of the applications, there's a sim card function that I personally disbled, and I know I've seen other sim refrences on my phone. But I'm not sure if that's even relevant.

rcjames

Reaction score
Well whats funny is the tech support from verizon told me that droid x hardware is compatible to 4g when it does come out. Might be lieing but if we get all these people saying that their verizon tech told them that it is 4g combatible then suck it up and accept it. But if its not true then we'll know when it is out. A software update can do alot of changes on a phone and computers (depend on chip and codes). We have to just wait. Beside who wants 4g? It's going to be very limited, they are gonna charge us if we go over 2gb or something we know its gonna be a cap and we wont be able to have unlimited internet like we do right now. Just like att.

Last edited:

ChbenneTT

Reaction score
What would be nice(and what will probably happen) is if they retain the unlimited 3G and add a limited 4g plan. Considering the lack of coverage when lte rolls out,this would be a good plan.

abe7333

Reaction score
Is the X going to be 4g capable? I heard verizon will be trying to roll out 4g later this year or early 2011.

Nope

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X

Status
Not open for further replies.