Droid x 2.3.3 z4 root wireless teather

Qsouthwood

Reaction score
I have a droid x that I just updated to 2.3 .3 use to have a z 4 root on it and used wireless tether now neither of them work and I need my wireless tether what can I do I'm fairly new to android so any point in the right direction would help

Beka27

Reaction score
As I understand, free tethering is blocked on GB 2.3. You can tether, it will just cost you $20 a month. People tend to find workarounds pretty quick tho, so stick around.

(from Beka's DX)

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
2 questions.....

Did you do the z4root AFTER taking the OTA?

Have you tried Barnacle?

zuckerj

Reaction score
In the same boat, except I haven't been uograded to 2.3 yet.

Researching now if there is a solution out there yet to allow use of free wireless tether with a Droid X on 2.3 ( Gingerbread).

My Xoom thanks you in advance for any info.

Jz.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

zuckerj

Reaction score
Guess I'll just hold off on the upgrade to GB until then.

The OTA GB upgrade isn't forced without consent, right? I have to be asked and initiate the upgrade... Right?

Jz.

rumblee1

Reaction score
Hey people after a while gingerbread downloaded all by itself. Then, guess what? It installed by itself. I was pissed. Went right to Verizon and asked them who owned my phone and what gave them the right to install without my permission. They blamed it on motor and told me to call them. We ALL know why they did it. For the $20.00 a month.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

rumblee1

Reaction score
Buy the way, I was waiting for the bionic, but I'm so hot over this, I'm thinking of swithching to the charge which is still running froyo. Hopefully some talented devs will come out with a 1 click root so I can stay with moto. But its going to have to be SOON. I've got all my root apps that I paid good money for like titanium backup. This sucks.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

zuckerj

Reaction score
That will definitely blow if they do that to me. Not going to fork out an additional $20 for an internet connection I'm already paying for.

It's as arbitrary as my standard internet provider asking me to pay an additional $20 if I want to use Chrome and Firefox to browse the internet.

Or

Asking me to pay $20 extra dollars if I want to access my router from both upstairs and downstairs.

Or more precisely,

Asking me to pay an additional $20 if I want to have a router in my home. It's my router, and I pay for the internet connection. That's apparently good enough for the rest of the networking world.

But not Verizon. They want to thieve as much as they can. So by saying, it's my phone, I pay for the internet connection, all I get in this situation is Verizon tampering with my phone, and being a victim of the behemoth that is Verizon.

I really hope someone figures out wireless tether on GB soon.

Jz.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
you lost root.....that is one issue you are having.

You could just SBF now that the Gingerbread SBF is available for the DX

zuckerj

Reaction score
That's fine. If someone out there confirms that the OTA GB can be rooted, and has an easy to folow guide for doing so, and that will allow me to use wireless tether, then I'm a happy camper.

But until then I'm a very concerned camper.

Snow02

Reaction score
No. No root method other than sbf to froyo and flash a rooted copy. But that literally takes ten-twenty minutes. Not that big of a deal.