z4 Root and OTA updating

steveomac

Reaction score
I got the Z4 root and I was wondering if I use the unroot on the app to unroot my droid x, will I be able to get OTA updates when they become available?

I'm stock rooted, just used it to get wireless teathering, get rid of some of the bloatware, no ROMs (tho I'm thinking about it)

Thanks

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can tell you right now that removing the bloatware can be an issue. You obviously have to put it back on and fix the permissions. Even though I thought I knew what I was doing the first time I got rid of it, I failed updating to the 2.2 OTA when it came out. I installed all the bloatware, fixed permissions, made sure they were system apps and made sure they ran right. Still got update failed. I even deleted SU files before unrooting the phone.

I could give you a walk through for installing your apk's, but no guarantees your OTA's will go through.

Hopefully someone comes in with a more positive response.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
well if you use titanium backup to freeze the system apps instead of removing them, you should be able to thaw them out and get an update no problems however if you do things like add themes or roms, you'll probably have to flash back to stock to get the ota to succeed. thats why right after i root a new update i immediately make a nandroid backup of the stock setup.

OP
S

steveomac

Reaction score
I didnt get rid of the bloatware, just changed the .apk to .bpk so they are still there.

Droid74

Reaction score
well if you use titanium backup to freeze the system apps instead of removing them, you should be able to thaw them out and get an update no problems however if you do things like add themes or roms, you'll probably have to flash back to stock to get the ota to succeed. thats why right after i root a new update i immediately make a nandroid backup of the stock setup.

thats what I did...but an SBF will likely work also.

OP
S

steveomac

Reaction score
so if I put the bloatware back to a .apk file and unroot, I should be able to get the OTA update?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
so if I put the bloatware back to a .apk file and unroot, I should be able to get the OTA update?

You can give it a shot. Like I posted in my first reply on here, I gave it a shot and failed. But that sure doesn't mean you can't pull it off. If it doesn't work you can flash sbf to stock and try that.

Apk(s) here>>>http://www.fileswap.com/share/d56cd026bafb33a3752b1dcfbba2388e/DefaultApps.zip.html

Replacing Apk(s) Instructions>>>

-Place the apk(s) of the apps on your sdcard.

-Use your chosen means to copy the apk(s) to /system/app (this will require making /system/app writable. In Root Manager just press the R/W key when you're exploring /system/app).

-Click on the apk once it's in /system/app and install it.

-Now, you've installed the program, but the system won't see it as a system app unless you change it's permissions. In Root Manager, long press on the app (in /system/app) and click on "permissions". Then make sure that only the following boxes are clicked: User Read, User Write, Group Read, Others Read.

-Make sure you make /system/app read only again by clicking that box in the top right while you're exploring the folder.

-Reboot phone.

Now the apps should be loaded and the system should recognize them as system apps (you can verify by opening Titanium and noticing they're in red). This should make you good to go for whatever OTA comes. If you're unsure which apks in the system dump correspond to the apps you've deleted, just explore your /system/app and compare it to the system dump app list. Any apks in the dump but not in yours are what you're looking for.

Last edited:
OP
S

steveomac

Reaction score
I'll probably just flash it back to the sbf, now when that happens, I'm probably gonna end up having to re put all my contacts and apps and **** right, (tho I got titanium back up so shouldnt be a big problem)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ya you will have to restore all that stuff but it shouldn't be too difficult with the assistance of titanium backup and backup assistant.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

rileyswims

Reaction score
z4root/unroot

i rooted using the one click gui method and it worked flawlessly. i have used drocap and wireless tether. i want to unroot so that i can be sure that the new 2.2.1 will install wothout any problems. i downloaded z4root on my computer and placed on the roots of my sd card. i then installed it. z4root will not recodnize that i am already rooted. i have z4root only for the purpose of unrooting. please help this "newb"
i also want to know if clicking the root button while i am already will do anything bad to my phone.

Last edited:

pego99

Reaction score

I have a rooted X what would I need and use titanium for?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You would use it to back up user apps so if you flash a rom you can easily get them back. Also you can use it to disable the bloat that is on your phone like blockbuster and kindle etc

tappin and a talkin

msu

Reaction score
Well, I was rooted with z4root and I unfroze the blur apps that I froze, then I forced the 2.2.1 OTA update that has came out for the DX yesterday. (yes I couldn't wait) It updated just fine and I lost root. I just ran Z4root again to root and it took forever, but it has booted back into Clockwork. Booted back up and I'm rooted again!

pego99

Reaction score
Well, I was rooted with z4root and I unfroze the blur apps that I froze, then I forced the 2.2.1 OTA update that has came out for the DX yesterday. (yes I couldn't wait) It updated just fine and I lost root. I just ran Z4root again to root and it took forever, but it has booted back into Clockwork. Booted back up and I'm rooted again!

Why take the update in the first place?