Droid X 1xRTT - Will not switch back to 3G

jthorpe

Reaction score
Ok, so I have been having issues for a few days now with my Droid X. I'm sitting here looking at my wife's old Droid and her 3g Signal level is -80dbm an it stays there without issue. Speedtest results are about 800k with her phone from here.

Now lets go to my phone unrooted running 2.3.3 which I just upgraded to. 2.2.1 was doing the same thing and I hoped the upgrade would help but it hasn't. I'm looking at my phone and it -101dbm on 1xRTT. When I go to airplane mode and bring it back to 3g, I'm seeing -82dbm and good data speeds but after a minute or two it goes right back to 1xRTT and stays there. I've never had an issue with this phone here before but all the sudden I can't get it to stay on 3g and this is happening even when I'm within a mile of a tower with a great signal.

I've got an old droid working without issue. I'm got a Mifi 2200 with -76dbm and working no issue. I have a Mifi 4510L working on 4G and when I force it to 3g, good signal with no drops in the exact same location as this X.

I have been searching and seen some ideas but none of them have worked. I've reset the phone, upgraded to 2.3.3 and done battery pulls etc. I'm tempted to SBF the phone back to 2.2.1 but I really don't think it's gonna work.

Can anyone here give me some more ideas to try or should I try to get Verizon to replace the phone? The problem I KNOW I'm gonna have with them is all the BS troubleshooting they will make me do which I know won't work.

Factory wipe? Anything? Please help!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try a data wipe and if that doesn't work, try to sbf.

CM74DX

OP
J

jthorpe

Reaction score
Try a data wipe and if that doesn't work, try to sbf.

CM74DX

Data wipe as in a cache wipe? If I SBF, I'm gonna put it back on 2.2.1 and see what happens. I'm not having much luck with 2.3.3 right now. I like the OS but the phone is almost unusable now. ugh!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Data wipe= factory data reset. Like I said, try that and see if it helps. If not, sbf. If you like GB, you might try the rooted version. You flash it over rooted Froyo.

I haven't used the OTA, but I have been on all the rooted GB versions and never had the problems you have had.

CM74DX

OP
J

jthorpe

Reaction score
Data wipe= factory data reset. Like I said, try that and see if it helps. If not, sbf. If you like GB, you might try the rooted version. You flash it over rooted Froyo.

I haven't used the OTA, but I have been on all the rooted GB versions and never had the problems you have had.

CM74DX

I will give it a try. If that doesn't work then I'll go rooted GB over rooted Froyo. I had that version setup exactly how I wanted it and I had to do the dang upgrade OTA. UGH!! Thanks for the suggestions.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

CM74DX

I will give it a try. If that doesn't work then I'll go rooted GB over rooted Froyo. I had that version setup exactly how I wanted it and I had to do the dang upgrade OTA. UGH!! Thanks for the suggestions.

If you do sbf and want the baddest, most awesome ROM out there, try CM7. Its speed and customization is ridiculous. Its also Android 2.3.5 but it boots off the Froyo kernel.

You can also change themes without a reboot or flashing and there are supposed to be 180+

CM74DX

OP
J

jthorpe

Reaction score
Thanks for the info but none of it's helping the issue. I'm beginning to get pissed at this phone. I'm thinking a radio issue myself. I'm wondering if the radio is starting to fry in this phone, or this is a widespread problem. The switching from 3g is ridiculous when I have three other devices in here having no issues whatsoever.