Droid Won't Charge

zhostetler

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been rooted for 2 months now and I just recently (2 days ago) switched to Lithiummod. If I recall correctly I went with the low voltage 1.0 GHz kernel when prompted in Rom Manager.

This morning I woke up (after a night of charging) to my battery 40% charged. I had it charging all day at work and watched as, to my dismay, my battery continued to deplete. I tried switching to the standard voltage 1.0 GHz kernel but that didn't seem to do anything. I also restored back to the cyanogenmod 6.0 RC2 I was running last week (without any battery problems) and at that point my battery finally died (all while still being plugged into the charger).

I have a feeling that this has something to do with an incompatibility between the phone and the kernel I downloaded, but I'm also somewhat inexperienced so that's purely amateur speculation. Any thoughts, input, advice? At this point I can't even get my phone to turn on.

dakoop

Reaction score
Tagging along, woke up this morning to a 70% charged battery after being on the charger all night

billygalbreath

Developer
Reaction score
Battery charges fine here. Is it getting a good connection? I.E. on the lockscreen do you get visual feedback that its on the charger?

luniz7

Reaction score
My battery charges just fine as well....sounds like you need a new battery to me.

dakoop

Reaction score
I guess I will see what the battery charge is tomorrow and go from there

speakercode

Reaction score
What kind of charger are you using to plug it in? Is it the stock one that came w/your droid? If not, I think other aftermarket chargers, if they are not to the correct specifications, will drain the battery life faster or cause the battery to die a premature death -- after a several months instead of a year or two.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
when it happened to me a piece inside where the charger goes (on the phone) was pushed all the way up i carefully held it down with a knife till it was centered and started charging like normal

now my stock motorola charger broke (the piece that goes into the outlet) so i've been using a blackberry charger until i replace the piece

Droid_2010

Reaction score
Do you have SetCPU installed? If so are you running any profiles? (ex. Charging Profile)? If not, Good thread here. (scroll down to post #2 and see screenshots for examples.)

Depending on how many apps you have going on in the background and how your CPU / kernel is setup I've seen instances where the charger can't keep up.(or struggles)

You might try downloading lithium and installing thru SPRecovery and not add any kernels for a little while and see how things go.

Lithium runs very well with the default kernel.:)

thedroid

Reaction score
This happened to me a couple of times only with the desktop dock. It was also very hot when I took it off. When I charged the normal way it worked fine. It also happened a couple of times in the past with other roms. Was yours with the desktop dock? If so, I think it has something to do with that.

RoyR80

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been rooted for 2 months now and I just recently (2 days ago) switched to Lithiummod. If I recall correctly I went with the low voltage 1.0 GHz kernel when prompted in Rom Manager.

This morning I woke up (after a night of charging) to my battery 40% charged. I had it charging all day at work and watched as, to my dismay, my battery continued to deplete. I tried switching to the standard voltage 1.0 GHz kernel but that didn't seem to do anything. I also restored back to the cyanogenmod 6.0 RC2 I was running last week (without any battery problems) and at that point my battery finally died (all while still being plugged into the charger).

I have a feeling that this has something to do with an incompatibility between the phone and the kernel I downloaded, but I'm also somewhat inexperienced so that's purely amateur speculation. Any thoughts, input, advice? At this point I can't even get my phone to turn on.

Many questions here that need answered to adequately help :-/
1. any power issues lately, did it storm while ur fone was plug'd in?
2. did u cook the batt?
3. how old is the fone?
4. how long have u been running OC'd?

and, btw, YES, the new FB update is SLAUGHTERING batt life. many are suggesting that all notices be turned off.
hope this helps.

OP
Z

zhostetler

Reaction score
Hey all,

Many questions here that need answered to adequately help :-/
1. any power issues lately, did it storm while ur fone was plug'd in?
2. did u cook the batt?
3. how old is the fone?
4. how long have u been running OC'd?

and, btw, YES, the new FB update is SLAUGHTERING batt life. many are suggesting that all notices be turned off.
hope this helps.

Just to update, I had it plugged into the wall charger, and after a few hours, it did turn back on :) However, I've had questionable battery life since then--after a full night of charge it will only reach 40 or 50% batt life, but then if shut the phone down and hook it up to the charger, I can usually reach 100%.

In response to your questions:
1. It did storm, but not while my phone was plugged in.
2. Don't think I cooked the battery, it seems to hold some charge now.
3. The phone is about 6 months old.
4. I've been OC'd for a month and a half, but I set up profiles similar to the ones used in the guide that Droid_2010 posted above.

I think I'm going to try and turn the facebook notices off, but I suppose it could be the desktop dock issue as well. I'll update again if I notice any significant changes.