Droid vs Nexus?

beckyjohnson

Reaction score
Hi i'm not sure if to buy a nexus or droid what are the pros and cons of each? Thanks!

R1Lover

Reaction score
The decision is based on what carrier you want.... the phones are both great.

huskur

Reaction score
Hi i'm not sure if to buy a nexus or droid what are the pros and cons of each? Thanks!

2 separate networks. If you go by network you will select the droid. If you select by "latest and greatest" you will go with the nexus.

Personally i think the droid is a more user friendly phone but i don't know for sure. Nexus is supposed to come to Verizon this year. Thats a definate. Heard a rumor of iphone coming to verizon in July. (that came from the local AT&T store in Dover, DE.) How much truth to that?? no clue

JCo352

Reaction score
The nexus is supposed to come to VZW on march 23

crspang

Reaction score
Personally I prefer the Droid just because of the look and feel it. The n1 is a little too plasticy for me.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Since they both are on vzw (or will be) the both can be rooted, and o/c they run at about the same speed. You should decide whether you want a slim device that is touch screen, or a bulky device with a physical keyboard.

superglen99

Reaction score
If you ask me it comes down to 2 things. Which do you like the looks of better and do you want a physical qwerty? I have a rooted droid OC to 1Ghz, same as stock Nexus and all the same 2.1 features. Once the Nexus comes to verizon this month thats the 2 questions you need to ask yourself.

windstrings

Reaction score
The nexus touchscreen is not supposed to work as well as the Droid....it also has no flash and no hard buttons.....

If I had a choice of one over the other for the same price, I"m sticking with the Droid as I haven't seen a reason to do otherwise......... I love the open source freedom of the Droid too and while Verizon will be an added plus to the existing Nexus, I also like the Google interface.

MrKleen

Reaction score
First off I would choose the Verizon network over any other.

Also depends on when you want the phone. If you can wait a few weeks or so, wait for the Nexus One to come to Verizon. If not, get the Droid.

I think it is a safe bet that that the Nexus will remain up to date with updates better than the Droid.

If you like to tinker with your phone's software the Droid is hard to beat.

Verizon will be kick butt if it gets the Nexus One and the Iphone. The only reason I don't own an Iphone is that I never wanted to leave Verizon. I waited forever for Verizon to come out with a phone like the Droid. I got my Droid in November and have been very happy with it.

I will repeat.... whatever phone you decide to get, wait for it to be on the Verizon network.

windstrings

Reaction score
Interesting you would like an I-phone on Verizon.

I kinda thought the only people that would be attracted to the I-phone are the ones who only know about phones based on the commercials they hear?

Maybe there is a mass of people out there that like a simpler world.... but I don't trust Apple to no hedge and limit you so bad that the only people who won't know the difference are those who have never had the droid?

I have never owned an I-phone.. is there a reason I would want to?

At the very least, they need to update the hardware to match the droid.... its an old phone now.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting you would like an I-phone on Verizon.

I kinda thought the only people that would be attracted to the I-phone are the ones who only know about phones based on the commercials they hear?

Maybe there is a mass of people out there that like a simpler world.... but I don't trust Apple to no hedge and limit you so bad that the only people who won't know the difference are those who have never had the droid?

I have never owned an I-phone.. is there a reason I would want to?

At the very least, they need to update the hardware to match the droid.... its an old phone now.

Uh huh...And that's why they can't give away iPhones. Oh, wait...Nevermind. The fact is that for the overwhelming majority of consumers the iPhone is not "an old phone." And that same overwhelming majority purchases products on the basis of what they can do, not their spec sheets.

The iPhone meets most consumers' requirements for a stable operating system, multiple options for applications of almost any sort, and predictable performance. Yes, android devices are in second place and moving up. But it's a second place far far behind the iPhone and though the gap is narrowing, it's still massive.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Do not buy the N1........

HTC skimps on their QC/Hardware in an effort to push out devices quickly.

Here's the article from Endgadget with video.

Thought all multitouch-capable displays were created equal? Think again -- Android and Me has posted a rather fascinating (if not somewhat depressing) video showing a demo multi touch app created by a game developer who'd grown suspicious after running into all sorts of trouble getting the feature to work the way he wanted on the Nexus One.

First up, the Droid handles the demo with aplomb -- two thumbs are recognized smoothly and consistently. Next, though, the Nexus One gets confused after a while and starts registering presses at the wrong corners of the on-screen box formed by the placement of the thumbs.

There's always hope that this could be fixed with a firmware bump, but that hope looks to be in jeopardy from language posted by a Google engineer in the official Android dev forums: "...this is how the touch screen hardware on the Nexus One works (which is essentially the same screen as on the
G1 and myTouch).

The Droid has a sensor from a different manufacturer, with different behavior. Other phones will
likewise have different sensors." In other words, Google seems to think that HTC's just using a lower-quality sensor than Motorola is. That's good news for Droid owners, we suppose -- but with game development on Android still something of a non-starter, hardware issues like this keep fragmenting the user base and preventing big-name developers from jumping in and betting on the platform. Follow the break for video proof of the wackiness.

[video=youtube;qzhUzq6bTPg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzhUzq6bTPg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Contrary to what many apparently believe, there's not just one reason for ownership of each smartphone out there. Even Droid owners didn't get the Droid all for the same reason.