Droid too hot to charge?

OP
m3kilpat

m3kilpat

Reaction score
There is actually a suggestion from VZW to NOT put the phone on the dash in direct sunlight on a hot day when using navigation. I would think that this is common sense at this point but apparently not. It is a METAL phone that is painted BLACK.

I hope you're not implying I don't have common sense. It's just crappy that I can't use my car dock, a product sold by Verizon, that is meant to sit on the dash and hold the phone when the sun is out.

I guess better common sense would be to look down at the phone in my lap to navigate and run into something because my eyes are off the road.

R

Romple

There is actually a suggestion from VZW to NOT put the phone on the dash in direct sunlight on a hot day when using navigation. I would think that this is common sense at this point but apparently not. It is a METAL phone that is painted BLACK.

I hope you're not implying I don't have common sense. It's just crappy that I can't use my car dock, a product sold by Verizon, that is meant to sit on the dash and hold the phone when the sun is out.

I guess better common sense would be to look down at the phone in my lap to navigate and run into something because my eyes are off the road.

And people said I was crazy for adding a toggle switch to my car dock. ;-p No overheating for me.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That dock that verizon sold was to get paid....but it in not a good thing in the summer. Not saying anything about the people that buy it. Just saying it is chaeper and better to get one of the cell phone vent holders like the poster above me said.

Darkseider

Reaction score

You SERIOUSLY think that sticking a piece of electronic equipment on your dash in direct sunlight is a good idea? Hell even a high end Garmin GPS in direct sunlight will go whacky and they are stand alone GPS devices with windshield mounts. This is why companies offer vent mounts and console stalks. So it has nothing to do with who sells what but it does have to do with using some common sense.

Oh and no I am not implying anything. I am stating it.

Taegost

Reaction score
I have my Droid OC'd to 1.2GHz, but I found that it doesn't charge well and got really when I'm using navigation or Slacker, so I set it to throttle down to 700MHz when it's plugged in. It keeps it cooler and charged.
I don't have a window mount for it for the same reason that Darkseider and several others mentioned earlier, but I didn't realize they make vent mounts... It makes sense, I just never thought about it...
I need to get one! I've been resting the phone in one of my cupholders when it's navigating, but it's too far away for me to make out the screen safely :)

granitemon

Reaction score
Glad I came across this thread. I have a non rooted moto droid, running 2.2. When I'm at home, I'm pretty much plugged in all the time. I noticed the other day, that I had a full charge. I plugged it in, and made a 1 hour call via bluetooth. Came back to see it was at 70%. Vzw said it likely was too hot to charge. Have had no other problems. Even replicated the situation inside the air conditioned house