Hot Droid!

Droidster163

Reaction score
So my Droid gave me a scare today. On my way to work today i had it mounted on my seidio car dock with trapster running. It was about 65 degrees outside and the sun was out. When i got to work i removed my Droid from the dock and felt that it was REALLY hot. I had forgot to turn on my temp monitor app so i quickly opened it and saw that the droid had reached 140 degrees! i quickly turned it off and let it cool for about 5 minutes. I also noticed that my plastic that is on the back of my screen when you slide it out had bubbled up. Fortunately my phone has been acting normal so i don't think that anything messed up. But dam that scared me!

Do you guys think any damage could have been done at that temperature?

Reaction score
So my Droid gave me a scare today. On my way to work today i had it mounted on my seidio car dock with trapster running. It was about 65 degrees outside and the sun was out. When i got to work i removed my Droid from the dock and felt that it was REALLY hot. I had forgot to turn on my temp monitor app so i quickly opened it and saw that the droid had reached 140 degrees! i quickly turned it off and let it cool for about 5 minutes. I also noticed that my plastic that is on the back of my screen when you slide it out had bubbled up. Fortunately my phone has been acting normal so i don't think that anything messed up. But dam that scared me!

The Droids do run a little hot, but it should not get to 140F. I say take it into Verizon and tell them about it. I returned my first one because it got so hot I had to put it down. You're not overclocking are you?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I have read somewhere that it could withstand up to 80c which is 176f. Now I don't know if that's absolutely true, but I did see it somewhere in the threads.

That still sounds awful hot. Are you rooted?

Blackmoth

Reaction score
While most of the internals (processor, ect.) are rated to high temps (80C), I wouldn't let the outside get that hot. I've heard of the back cover warping permanently. However long term heat exposure is probably bad for the internals. Good thing you caught it.

OP
Droidster163

Droidster163

Reaction score
Sorry i forgot to add. I am rooted and overclocked to 800. I'm not sure if it was the phone that made itself heat up or the sun shining on it. Do you guys think i should take it to verizon? I am past my 30 days.

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
i would make them aware that it happended at vzw so just incase it does happen again they have a record of it happening before and they can swap it out.

superglen99

Reaction score
There is a setting in setcpu that you can tweak for temperature in the profiles. I have mine set to batter>50c 600mhz max 250min. Everything else is 800mhz max 250 min. Maybe try that so if your phone gets hot due to overclocking it will throttle down when the cpu gets to whatever temp you set it at.

superglen99

Reaction score
oh and strangley enough my phnoe was at 120 when I took it off the dock this morning? wtf? It was on the dock all night and had the dim green clock so its not like anything was running, weird. I even had setcpu to 800mxx 250 min when charging