Droid gets hot?

dmo580

Reaction score
My Motorola Milestone gets hot while making a call. I hope this isn't specific to my unit or the Milestone or a 850/1900 Milestone... Just wondering.

Edit 3/2/2010:

19 minute phone call today.

It started getting pretty warm by 10 minutes.

I kept checking my battery widget (Battery Left). It topped around 41C or so. 41C at the end of the call.

Loaded up Temp Monitor and it says 45C on the AK sensor. Sorry I work in celsius because this is how CPU temps are usually discussed in although I'm a F guy. So 45C => 116F.

Most of the heat is near the camera area, but I guess that means the flip side where the earpiece is gets pretty warm. It's like holding a handwarmer to my ear.

The battery cover itself is only mildly warm, not a problem.

gruve

Reaction score
Mine gets hot while playing a game but never while on a call. The warms spot is right around the camera lense area.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never had a phone yet that didn't get warm when I was on the phone an extended amount of time. Droid included.:)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If its an extended time on the phone call Id consider it normal. The Droid heats up under heavy battery use, which a phone call falls under.

OP
D

dmo580

Reaction score
well my call was only 10 min long. it was fairly warm by 5 min marker...

I came from a Nokia N82, and a 3 other SE dumbphones but I don't recall phones getting this warm. Warm yes, but hmm. 4/5 bars today with my Milestone. It's just too warm for my liking I suppose? The only phone I remember warming up on me was some Samsung flip I had in 2002. Have to say even my Moto V600 fared better...

Maybe I should try gaming to see how it is.

And yes the warm spot is right around the camera area. The upper area.. where my ear would touch the phone :D So it is a little annoying to have a hot (it's not burning hot) device touch my skin...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
get a battery temp app to get a reading of how hot your phone is getting.

OP
D

dmo580

Reaction score
Hmm Id on't know if my phone is working extra hard or whatever but I went to my battery widget (BatteryLeft?) and it says voice calls took up 30% of my battery. I only had 17 minutes of voice calls since my last charge? WTF is going on?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm Id on't know if my phone is working extra hard or whatever but I went to my battery widget (BatteryLeft?) and it says voice calls took up 30% of my battery. I only had 17 minutes of voice calls since my last charge? WTF is going on?

The battery % used is only a ratio of what's used total from 100% and what used the difference in percentage. So you may make that 17 minute phone call and go from say 100% to 80%, the 30% battery the phone call used is only 30% of 20% battery power. Follow?

OP
D

dmo580

Reaction score

The battery % used is only a ratio of what's used total from 100% and what used the difference in percentage. So you may make that 17 minute phone call and go from say 100% to 80%, the 30% battery the phone call used is only 30% of 20% battery power. Follow?

Of course I get it. Except I'm at 20% right now. I was trying to see if the phone could last 2 days. I pulled it off a charger saturday night. Barely made any calls yesterday.

so the 17 minutes occupying 30% of my battery use which represents 100 => 20% is kinda unacceptable. I'm wondering if this is linked to my phone getting so hot during calls. Maybe it's just running useless CPU cycles.

I have my battery widget installed and I'll make a call later tonight and I'll see how it is after 20 minutes...

Sorry I'm usually not this paranoid but this is a Milestone and not a Droid, and I'm using it in the US meaning this is imported. If a warranty situation arises I could be screwed... royally screwed.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Of course I get it. Except I'm at 20% right now. I was trying to see if the phone could last 2 days. I pulled it off a charger saturday night. Barely made any calls yesterday.

so the 17 minutes occupying 30% of my battery use which represents 100 => 20% is kinda unacceptable. I'm wondering if this is linked to my phone getting so hot during calls. Maybe it's just running useless CPU cycles.

I have my battery widget installed and I'll make a call later tonight and I'll see how it is after 20 minutes...

Sorry I'm usually not this paranoid but this is a Milestone and not a Droid, and I'm using it in the US meaning this is imported. If a warranty situation arises I could be screwed... royally screwed.

Report back and well see if we can get you a definitive answer.

OP
D

dmo580

Reaction score
19 minute phone call today.

It started getting pretty warm by 10 minutes.

I kept checking my battery widget (Battery Left). It topped around 41C or so. 41C at the end of the call.

Loaded up Temp Monitor and it says 45C on the AK sensor. Sorry I work in celsius because this is how CPU temps are usually discussed in although I'm a F guy. So 45C => 116F.

Most of the heat is near the camera area, but I guess that means the flip side where the earpiece is gets pretty warm. It's like holding a handwarmer to my ear.

The battery cover itself is only mildly warm, not a problem.