Droid to Car

iraparks

Reaction score
I'd like to have the sound from my Droid go through the speakers of my car. I have a 2003 VW Jetta and have no aux jack. My Sirius radio went through a converter but it's not the same size as the Droid 3.5 jack. Anyone have any ideas rather than the cheezy tape deck cassette plug and ofcourse buying a more up to date vehicle. Thanks again in advance to a top notch forum!

rlb

Reaction score
The best bet would be to adapt the port you're using for the sirius unit. You can probably find it at radio shack

texasPI

Reaction score
I doubt you'll get the sirius adapter to work. Does your head unit have CD changer controls? If so, you can probably find an adapter that plugs into the cd changer port and converts it to an aux in. Check crutchfield.com to see if there might be something for you. Or alternatively you can upgrade your stereo! Almost said car...lol

OP
iraparks

iraparks

Reaction score
i'm gonna run by the shop that installed my Sirius radio and see what they can come up with, thanks everyone

Mateles

Reaction score
Another option

I doubt you'll get the sirius adapter to work. Does your head unit have CD changer controls? If so, you can probably find an adapter that plugs into the cd changer port and converts it to an aux in. Check crutchfield.com to see if there might be something for you. Or alternatively you can upgrade your stereo! Almost said car...lol
Here's another option - Scosche FM-MOD02 FM modulator from Crutchfield. I just got mine today and will hopefully be done installing it this weekend. My built in car stereo (2006 Hyundai Sonata) does not have any sort of aux plugs for a CD changer, but this gives you an aux-out by tapping into your radio antenna. Set it to either 87.9 or 88.3 (according to the site) and you can have it come out through that station. There's still a chance for some interference, but most of the reviews have been pretty good. And it'd certainly be better than a wireless FM modulator. It also has a power switch.

Plus since I'm not using an after-market stereo, I can still use the radio controls / volume adjustments built into my steering wheel. And it'll be less of a thief magnet.

jobambo

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using one of these from HTC? ORA HTC extUSB 3-in-1 Audio Cable for Touch Pro Videos & Comments - eXpansys Inc These can be had for about 5 dollars shipped on ebay. Ive been trying to find out if the droid has "extusb" or not but i can not find a single person mentioning either way. If this does work, i would be able to just hardwire the multimedia dock into my car without having to worry about plugging in the 3.5 jack.

GolfProRM

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using one of these from HTC? ORA HTC extUSB 3-in-1 Audio Cable for Touch Pro Videos & Comments - eXpansys Inc These can be had for about 5 dollars shipped on ebay. Ive been trying to find out if the droid has "extusb" or not but i can not find a single person mentioning either way. If this does work, i would be able to just hardwire the multimedia dock into my car without having to worry about plugging in the 3.5 jack.

That appears to be a mini USB connector and the droid is micro USB. It likely won't work. If you had an Eris, you'd have a better shot.

jobambo

Reaction score
That appears to be a mini USB connector and the droid is micro USB. It likely won't work. If you had an Eris, you'd have a better shot.

Does the Droid pass audio through the micro USB? Think i will be able to use adaptors to make it work?

OP
iraparks

iraparks

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input, i guess the cassette may not be as cheezy as i thought, i don't need 7.1 surround just need to hear the cool stuff on the coolest phone i've ever owned, getting back and forth from work 20 min each way. I don't spend enough time in the car to necessitate an extravagant set up. Thanks again.

skidemn

Reaction score
Use an auxiliary input

First let me preface this reply by saying I work for a mobile electronics manufacturer/distributor so instead of spamming the room with my company's link I'll ask you to private message me if you are interested in our pricing.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I will recommend to you the VW-AUX from PIE (Precision Interface Electronics) which is compatible with your Jetta. You can google the part and find it in several stores online. This part gives you a direct audio input to your radio and with a 3.5mm to RCA adapter you can have excellent audio!

OP
iraparks

iraparks

Reaction score
First let me preface this reply by saying I work for a mobile electronics manufacturer/distributor so instead of spamming the room with my company's link I'll ask you to private message me if you are interested in our pricing.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I will recommend to you the VW-AUX from PIE (Precision Interface Electronics) which is compatible with your Jetta. You can google the part and find it in several stores online. This part gives you a direct audio input to your radio and with a 3.5mm to RCA adapter you can have excellent audio!

I pm'd you, please reply when you get a chance, Thanks

skidemn

Reaction score
direct auxiliary input to radio

Irasparks- I just sent you a private message with a link to the PIE direct audio input for your radio. It will be your best sounding option by far!

PetrolHead

Reaction score