Droid thinks I am using screen...I'm not!

whitehurst

Reaction score
Background:

• Have had Droid for about 3 months
  • Currently running OS 2.1
  • Not Rooted
  • Not using a Home screen replacement
  • Minimal non-Google developed downloaded apps installed
Issue:

• The phone thinks I am interacting with the GUI (i.e. touching the screen) - BUT I AM NOT!
  • The phone clicks buttons and swipes on it's own.
  • It did it last Saturday for about 2 hours and then today for about 5 hours (currently is doing it as I write this). All days between it was perfectly fine.
  • The phone will boot up and when I unlock it it starts clicking icons, moving them around, pulling down the notifications bar, opening the apps drawer. It has made a few phone calls and sent a few texts. Oh it manages to add calendar events a lot, too. It is just randomly clicking things. It goes VERY fast at clicking constantly.
  • I pull the battery and it restarts and (as soon as I unlock it) it starts all over again.
  • I am mostly not able to interact with the phone while it does this. Escape and menu appears to work every now and then, but Home does nothing. And I can't click anything because it is too busy clicking whatever it wants.
  • Sliding the keyboard open the phone is very slow to rotate the screen (if it does at all) - I assume this is because it is being overwhelmed with GUI input that it can't get to the rotation operation
Identifying the problem:

• The phone let me use it for about 4 minutes about an hour ago and I was able to delete all downloaded apps installed in the last month. (I don't use tons of apps...and I deleted basically all of them just now). No luck.
  • Trying to narrow down environment. Both times it has started this I have been in the car - but it continues to do it after. I thought it might be interference in car so I tried turning off my A/C, radio, etc. No luck.
  • I had a Plantronics Voyager 520 Bluetooth headset that I lost about a month ago. It worked fine for the 2 months I had it with the Droid. I just replaced it with an identical device. Both times the phone started acting up the Bluetooth headset was powered on and nearby (however, bluetooth was not enabled on the phone the second time). I thought that might be causing interference but now it is no where near me and the phone is still acting up. I also thought it might be a combination of GPS on (since I was driving) and bluetooth headset nearby - but I guess not.
Possible Solution:

• Throw the phone out the window
  • PLEASE GIVE ME A BETTER OPTION! Any input is greatly appreciated.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a alive Droid lol. Has it's own brain and everything

If I were you, I'd quickly root it, and flash a stock ROM or go straight to FroYo (2.2) I think Chevy and Pete have stock 2.2 ROMs

Reaction score
It seems you have a hardware issue. I had the same problem and eventually it stopped but the left side of my screen and my soft return key stopped working. I know of no fix for the problem so I will advise you to contact Verizon or Motorola for a replacement. Unfortunately I do not reside in the USA so Verizon is a no go for me and the cost to ship my phone to Motorola is more trouble than its worth so im stuck with the left side of my screen and my Return key

Reaction score
Or possibly it is because of a Faulty app. Since you cannot use your phone normally. You can boot your phone in SAFE MODE, that is with only the stock apps running, by holding the menu button or the centre button on the d-pad of the keyboard and u should be free to delete any apps u think could be the culprit

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Search the forums for something like "run away droid" or "droid has a mind of its own" No ones really sure why it happens to some handsets, but it does. Taking it back to the place that you got it from is probably going to be your best option IMO

cbushnell

Reaction score
Most people that have complained of their phones coming alive have used a charger that was not an original charger meant for the Droid. Since this issue started in your car I guess my question would be what kind of car charger are you using?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have no comment, but I have to say you must be a lawyer or doctor or something because that was the most well detailed and laid out post I have ever seen. I don't even capitalize correctly most of the time!!!!!!!

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
It does not require root, it has nothing to do with the apps you have installed, and most likely the charger has nothing to do with it. It has been happening to a LOT of people lately. Stock people, rooted people, overclocked people, people who use stock chargers, people who use aftermarket, people who have dropped their phones, people who treat their phones like babies, etc. It is an issue with the touchscreen. Some think it may be a problem with the connection between the two pieces of the phone. Either way, it is something that falls under warranty. Take your phone to a local Verizon Wireless store and they will get you a replacement.