Droid screen has gone crazy

otaku

Reaction score
I don't know what happened. I didn't drop the phone recently or do anything abnormal with it. But on a recent trip, my Droid's screen has gone crazy. It started with not recognizing my swipes and touches, and then went on to over-recognizing my input, doing crazy things, as if a demon had possessed the phone. Obviously, the screen was going crazy sending commands to the phone itself. Now, most of the time, there are large swaths of the screen that do not respond to touch. Most notably the lower right 1/4 part (including the home and search icons). It also makes unlocking the phone or answering a phone call darn near impossible, since as soon as the slider hits the halfway point it stops registering the drag and resets the slider.

Of course, I've tried battery pulls, went so far as a system restore and a hard reset, nothing worked. I think this is a hardware problem. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced it.

I am able to access the phone using the car/alarm apps. By putting a magnet on the back of the phone, I can trick it to unlock. By rotating the screen sideways, I can usually get to most things I need to get to, except the browser, which I access by clicking a link in my gmail.

I'm going to be calling Verizon and likely taking it into a store for them to look at. I hope I can get it replaced with a minimum of fuss.

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Yep as I posted a few days ago , seems the Droid's are revolting against humans .
Mine did the same thing , possessed behavior , this may be a Apple trick trying to derail the Droid express . JK
How old was/is the phone ?

OP
O

otaku

Reaction score
meant to post in my original, I bought it on the first day they were sold, Nov 6 I think. Apparently there are a couple things different with the hardware physically than the Droids they sell today, something to do with the keyboard? Anyway, I always had a feeling their QC on the first couple batches of phones was a little less than stellar.

JimK

Reaction score
I started experiencing the same issue yesterday. My droid is also a first day purchase. Have tried restoring previous nandroid save, reinstall from scratch. Will act normally for awhile (never the same amount of time) before it goes crazy again.

Guess I will be restoring to original rom and getting an exchange if a solution isn't found.

Using Jrummy's Remix V0.7 - Cyanmod 5.0.6.2 with bekit 0.8.3.7x1200LV

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that this is your issue, but it freaks out on me when I get the screen wet or have wet fingers.

xxxtncxxx

Reaction score
I got the same issue, deamon possession, I wonder if a new screen digitizer would solve the issue, I just don't know if that's the problem or if there is something wrong with the phone itself. I think I may suck it up because I bought mine from eBay and don't think my old insurance from blackberry carries over to my new phone if u don't buy it from Verizon.

Last edited:

xxxtncxxx

Reaction score
So an update, I got Verizon to replace it under warranty, here's the best part I did not buy the phone from them I bought it from eBay. Everything is fine now.

thurilok

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue, and ended up buying a Thunderbolt. I'd love to be able to fix the old droid though.

schlumpy

Reaction score
There is a flexible printed circuit board that connects the two halves of the phone together. It is the cause of many screen problems (it takes a beating from opening and closing the keyboard). It is 30$-40$ . I don't recommended replacing it yourself unless you have the proper tools and are good at working on small electronics. You also have to follow the correct procedure to disassemble it with causeing more damage. Also, it seems Verizon does not have people capable of diagnosing or fixing this.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

geck0

Reaction score
Mine too is possesed. Its very diffacult to use. It started 3 weeks ago with losing the touch funtion on a section of the display but moved around to other sections. The problem went away for a bit but now its like I have ghost fingers on my phone.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
The screen is a capacitive touch screen.
Non OEM chargers can mess them up, for one.