Droid Technical Issue Summary

dean.collins

Reaction score
i heard there are some world versions of the droid

Slightly incorrect - there is a GSM versions (for everywhere else inthe world apart from the USA) and the Verizon CDMA versions.

If i had my preference i would get a GSM version (because you can use voice and data at the same time which you cant do with CDMA technology) but i dont want to get a GSM version for use here in NY as ATT and Tmobile have less throuput than Verizon.

xkwwwx

Reaction score
Help!!

Usb connector only works on one usb plug.
No flash or led for taking video.
Cannot edit or select/copy/paste email.

Guindalf

Reaction score
Haven't read through to see if anyone's addressed this, so if it's a repeat, I apologize...

The Droid DOES have pinch zoom! download the PicSay app and try it for yourself on any picture.

What it doesn't have is widespread software support yet.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

Slightly incorrect - there is a GSM versions (for everywhere else inthe world apart from the USA) and the Verizon CDMA versions.

If i had my preference i would get a GSM version (because you can use voice and data at the same time which you cant do with CDMA technology) but i dont want to get a GSM version for use here in NY as ATT and Tmobile have less throuput than Verizon.
ok thanks for the correction

nerdstaz

Reaction score
Here is a quick summary of some of the technical issues that are related to the Droid:

1) No Voice and Data at the same time

If this is a deal breaker for you, then not only is this phone not for you but Version is not for you. Work-around: If WiFi is available (like at you favorite Mc Restaurant) data can use it while you are on a voice call.

4) No "Pinch-Zoom"

This was not implemented in the browser, yet. The speculation is that the powers that be did not want to run into Apple's legal caims surrounding the name and or use of that gesture. <I am sure that this will be resolved, soon>

I am totally browsing the internet, and texting....at the same time as talking to my wife on speakerphone...it may not work with Bluetooth, haven't tried that yet. It did give me an error on the first try, but it worked on the second. So I think its just buggy.

Also, the phone DOES have pinch zoom just not in default Apps. The Picasa app for instance supports pinch zoom.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is a quick summary of some of the technical issues that are related to the Droid:

1) No Voice and Data at the same time

If this is a deal breaker for you, then not only is this phone not for you but Version is not for you. Work-around: If WiFi is available (like at you favorite Mc Restaurant) data can use it while you are on a voice call.

4) No "Pinch-Zoom"

This was not implemented in the browser, yet. The speculation is that the powers that be did not want to run into Apple's legal caims surrounding the name and or use of that gesture. <I am sure that this will be resolved, soon>

I am totally browsing the internet, and texting....at the same time as talking to my wife on speakerphone...it may not work with Bluetooth, haven't tried that yet. It did give me an error on the first try, but it worked on the second. So I think its just buggy.

Also, the phone DOES have pinch zoom just not in default Apps. The Picasa app for instance supports pinch zoom.

Are you signed into WIFI also?

dean.collins

Reaction score
Now this is something I didn't know Verizon Offered. Thanks for that Info !!!

Lol wait until you see how much they charge for calls....far cheaper to get a cheap unlocked dumb gsm handset and use a local sim for trvale use.

diginet

Reaction score
How about the issue with visual voicemail not being able to get voicemail when wifi is enabled. Other carriers don't havent this issue. Visual voicemail also doesn't play the voicemail through my car bluetooth either.

More importantly, Exchange support very limited. Can't search for emails, can't sort email (check out your sent items folder... you'll see), can't accept vcard, notes in contacts doesn't scroll (so when you have long notes on a contact you can't easily view it) can't open html etc... will the exchange issues be resolved by google or verizon or motorola? The HTC android phones (even at 1.5) doesn't have these exchange issues.

Last edited:
OP
J

jwd45244

Reaction score

The probably will be a GSM Droid coming to Germany. It is still rumor. It is not out. The current Motorola Droid is a Verizon-only CDMA phone.

dean.collins

Reaction score
The probably will be a GSM Droid coming to Germany. It is still rumor. It is not out. The current Motorola Droid is a Verizon-only CDMA phone.

BZZZZt sure it's not 'actually' in the stores but it sure aint a 'rumour'.

cchatterj

Reaction score
Add to this:
The Droid does not play baseline H.264 video correctly. Baseline H.264 allows reordered P frames which the Droid does not support. It supports reordering of P frames only when the H.264 video is Main profile. This bug for Baseline profile needs to be fixed asap to support a wide variety of baseline videos.
Note that iPhone 3G and 3GS does implement Baseline H.264 correctly.

wlkrug

Reaction score
Do any of you see any issues in my using my Droid's wireless in Europe? I know the phone is not a GSM phone. I am pretty sure I can get a cheap phone card. What I really want is to surf the internet ... emails... check stock quotes ... with out incurring any data charge. As long as I connect to a wireless hotel signal or free wireless along the way what if any issues will I run in to?

Benton

Reaction score
You should be good for internet and email using the hotel or other source wifi in europe without any data charges and you are right, plenty of phone cards on the cheap. Have a good trip!