Droid Sync with Exchange 2003

jjbard

Reaction score
So I picked up my Droid this morning and I cannot for the life of me get it to properly sync with Exchange Server 2003. When I finally get it to accept all of my settings and I go to the email icon, instead of seeing my emails, I get a black screen (with the exception of the status, battery, clock, etc...bar at the top). Below the top bar, there's a lighter gray bar and to the right of it, there is a little spinning circle which sort of suggests that it's doing something, or syncing but it's been that way forever now. The rest of the screen in just black. I can back out of this screen and go back into it no problem. The corporate calendar is not syncing and neither are my corporate contacts. I've pulled the battery and tried again, same problem. I've spent 40 minutes on the phone with Moto support, useless exercise.

Anyone else running into this? Everything else about the phone seems fine.

Support gave up and suggested I get a replacement phone! LOL

djidji

Reaction score
i have the same exact problem with exchange 2007. the setup was super easy but now all i see is black screen with the little "circle" in the upper right. every now and then i see another item that says "Refresh". but when i click on it again i get a black screen with the little "circle" rotating...

indygreg

Reaction score
Me too

Same thing. I am also an exchange admin for my company . . . I have setup everything with our system.

It is logging it to some extent, as if you put in the wrong info, like a password, it will reject it. Do it all right and it is just a blank screen. Ugh. I am currently using the demo of the touchdown product to get work email. I am hoping to find an answer soon.

OP
J

jjbard

Reaction score
Ok, as frustrating as it is, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one experiencing this.
I'll need to come up with a work-around for now too since the blackberry has been turned off...

Here's to hoping we find a solution soon!

indygreg

Reaction score
it appears that the issue is it does not work with Exchange servers that require a security PIN on mobile devices (FYI, this is required for admins to be able to remote wipe the phone, which is VERY common a requirement). The Palm pre was this way out of the gate too and they got killed. they fixed it in about 1 month. I am sure google will fix this, but it is a HUGE oversight to release it like this.

sgoldwa

Reaction score
OK - a follow-up question

I am a nerdie kind of guy who runs my own SBS 2003 server (including Exchange 2003). So I have no issues tweaking the server settings. Where do I tweak the setting the disables the PIN requirement?
Thanks in advance.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Well i kinda red a lot that u guys need to pay extra on VW to use exchange sync. Speaking off a blackberry, a Blackberry enterprise server (BES) was needed to push exchange mails. Maybe problem lays somewhere in there!

sgoldwa

Reaction score
Not really

BES software running on top of Exchange Server is what is needed to have push email to a Blackberry. Native Exchange Server does push email and has for at least a couple of years without anything needing to run on top of it, so far as I know...

sgoldwa

Reaction score
PIN is not the problem

After looking into my own Exchange Server 2003, I can tell you the the PIN is not the problem. I have that box UNCHECKED (so that a PIN was not enforced), and I am still having the same issue as everyone else.

I wonder if it has something to do with installing certificates on the Droid.

Anybody else want to chime in?

djidji

Reaction score
After looking into my own Exchange Server 2003, I can tell you the the PIN is not the problem. I have that box UNCHECKED (so that a PIN was not enforced), and I am still having the same issue as everyone else.

I wonder if it has something to do with installing certificates on the Droid.

Anybody else want to chime in?

any chance you can look at your server logs to see if requests are being made and if any error are showing? i use hosted exchange so i don't really have that level access to exchange...

Edit:
BES is definitely not a requirement. i do believe OWA is required.

R1Lover

Reaction score
I have no issues connecting and receiving mail... I just can't view attachments.

Try checking the "accept all cert" option.

obsid

Reaction score
I too have the exact same problem!

I can sync my exchange calender, but email just shows a blank black screen (like there are no messages that it finds). But it shows the little spinning cirlce in the upper right corner (like it is doing something). I put in a support ticket with verizon (which I believe is talking to motorola).

PS. it doesnt work even with the "accept all cert" enabled.

Last edited:

djidji

Reaction score
Delete the account and re-create it. It worked for me although I am still having a problem with syncing the calendar.

MAPB

Reaction score
I have the same issue with the black screen and it doesn't seem the calendar connects either. Hope someone comes up with the solution!!

OP
J

jjbard

Reaction score
No resolution here yet either. "accept all certs" doesn't fix and the pin requirement is not selected on our server. I ended up downloading the trial of Touchdown to hold me over for a few days anyway.