Droid switches wifi off when in "stand-by" mode

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
When at home, I'm always connected to wifi. When I take the phone out of sleep mode, it shows it was using 3G but immediately switches back to wifi.

Sometimes I queue downloads and walk away; I want to stay connected to wifi during sleep mode. I don't see anything in the settings menu that refers to this. Help!

Also, not sure if it's related, but I first noticed this quirk after I installed then uninstalled Power Manager (free version).

JayMonster

Reaction score
Like vzwmandroid said, it does this to save battery, so no it has nothing to do with the app you installed/uninstalled.

FWIW, when I am downloading something from Amazon MP3, the wifi connection seems to stay alive until the download is finished... I presume this is because an app is running even though the screen shut down. So, it may be staying active until your download is complete and then dropping off (but this is pure conjecture).

OP
PolyOlefin

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I just did a test; indeed, the Droid maintains a wifi connection even during sleep as long as I'm downloading something.

MikeCheat04

Reaction score
How to adjust wifi sleep policy:

Go to Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings
Press the Menu key
Press Advanced
You'll see Wi-Fi sleep policy, you get three choices:
-When screen turns off
-Never when plugged in
-Never

Hope that helps!

OP
PolyOlefin

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
I didn't know there was an advanced submenu, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a bunch.

kinhell

Reaction score
What I'd like to know is how to get it to wake up and use wifi when it's checking email etc. From what I've seen so far, it doesn't power up wifi & uses 3G/GPRS to go and check for email which is pretty silly if it has a wifi it could connect to.

Is that what other people are seeing happing with theirs?

JayMonster

Reaction score
Yes, once disconnected, it stays disconnected from WiFi until it is woken up. In theory it doesn't make any difference, because while the wifi may be faster, assuming the screen is off, it is not like there is a user "actively" awaiting the download.

If something is already downloading, it continues the connection until complete. But once disconnected (in order to save battery), it is not going to just turn it back on for the same reason (just following the logic here, not saying that they are right)