Droid: Seidio case vs generic Verizon case?

edmicman

Reaction score
I know there's a ton of case threads and browsed through some of them....looks like this Seidio Surface and some Body Glove case keeps coming up as good ones.

I've got some two-piece case I got from the online Verizon store shortly after I got my droid. I can't actually find what it is - my receipt email calls it a "Snap On Silicone Covers - Black" but I can't find it online in their store anymore. The closest looks like the "snap on back cover", but I've got a front cover, too. Anyway....

I've got a couple of complaints with the case. One, it seems kinda bulky. Are all cases like this going to be this way, or can it be better? It sounds like the Seidio is supposed to be thin. Is it because it's a "hard" case, or at least a rubbery plastic? I've seen iphone cases that are more like rubber skins rather than snap-on cases....is there something like that for the Droid?

My other complaint which really annoys me is that I got tired of the case and decided I was just going to go without. I took it off, but it apparently has slightly pulled up the slider from the way the two pieces clip onto their parts. Basically I take the case off and the sliding part of the phone "clicks" on one side when I press it....like it's stretched out some spring or something. I don't know if there's anything I can do about that or not. But now I think I pretty much need some sort of case.

I'm wondering if there's something better out there, or if I should just leave well enough alone and keep what I have. Any thoughts? Thanks!

orangepeel

Reaction score
Basically I take the case off and the sliding part of the phone "clicks" on one side when I press it....like it's stretched out some spring or something. I don't know if there's anything I can do about that or not. But now I think I pretty much need some sort of case.

The Seidio case did mine the same way.Now when I take it off to type the slider has been stretched up by the plastic tabs and you get a tap,tap,tap, sound when you type with it,so I put it back on.What I did was buy the Seidio case,but I use the holster case from the one you have and it fits snug,but I still hate the fact that when I pull it out of the holster the keyboard slides out a bit....nothing horrible,just slightly irritating.

I'm one of those people with large thumbs and I can't use the physical keyboard,so I'm waiting for seidio, or Otterbox to make one that will "nail it shut.":)

jhom

Reaction score
I know there's a ton of case threads and browsed through some of them....looks like this Seidio Surface and some Body Glove case keeps coming up as good ones.

I've got some two-piece case I got from the online Verizon store shortly after I got my droid. I can't actually find what it is - my receipt email calls it a "Snap On Silicone Covers - Black" but I can't find it online in their store anymore. The closest looks like the "snap on back cover", but I've got a front cover, too. Anyway....

I've got a couple of complaints with the case. One, it seems kinda bulky. Are all cases like this going to be this way, or can it be better? It sounds like the Seidio is supposed to be thin. Is it because it's a "hard" case, or at least a rubbery plastic? I've seen iphone cases that are more like rubber skins rather than snap-on cases....is there something like that for the Droid?

My other complaint which really annoys me is that I got tired of the case and decided I was just going to go without. I took it off, but it apparently has slightly pulled up the slider from the way the two pieces clip onto their parts. Basically I take the case off and the sliding part of the phone "clicks" on one side when I press it....like it's stretched out some spring or something. I don't know if there's anything I can do about that or not. But now I think I pretty much need some sort of case.

I'm wondering if there's something better out there, or if I should just leave well enough alone and keep what I have. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Yep, it also happened to my Droid with the Verizon case. I returned the case because I didn't like it. However, the case "stretched" the slider and made an intolerable creaking noise as well as being loose. I returned the Droid for a new one. I now have a Seidio. It is great. It has not affected the slider. It is not bulky and will likely offer some protection compared to a naked Droid. The case has a surface feel similar to the battery door of the Droid. I would highly recommend the Seidio.

The_Law

Reaction score
The Seidio two piece innocase is quite nice. The Verizon one was too bulky and did not allow proper access to the top row of keys on the Physical Keyboard.

Additionally, Seidio offers accessories (media dock, car dock) that work with the case still on.

jamuka

Reaction score
just made the switch from the vzw rubber case to Seidio

I actually used the VZW case since day one (which incidentally was the first day that the droid was available around 7am.

I liked it a lot, but it was hard to pocket and the top row of keys was hard to access.

I bought the Seidio to have something that looked a little nicer and to see if it was less bulky. It is a little less bulky. Not too much, but it really helps in the pocket. The VZW case was so rubbery that it didn't seem free to move in my pocket at all. The Seidio is less so. It's a hard case with a velvety/rubbery coating. I got ordered the red model, but it's more of a maroon shade. (I ordered from Amazon.)

I'm pretty pleased with the Seidio, but I also liked the VZW case. I think that If I were to drop my phone, I'd rather it be in the VZW case for the fall, but I'd rather pocket the Seidio--and I think that it would protect the case too, but probably get boogered up by the fall, where the VZW case would not.

OP
E

edmicman

Reaction score
I ended up getting the Seidio case from Amazon and it came today...wow, what a difference. It's VERY nice - feels good, pretty thin. Kinda bummed that the old Verizon case stretched things out a bit, but it all seems to feel fine with the new case on. The keyboard is even functional now...on the old case the top row was tough to type on. Wish I'd bought this case in the first place :-/

Thanks all for the advice!